December 19, 2012 5:44 PM EST
Twitter Top Trend of 2012: From Justin Bieber to One Direction [PHOTOS]
Sharing anything and everything on the web is a natural thing to do with today's society. It's not surprising why even celebrities are hooked on the web and on social networking sites. While Facebook has its own perks, celebrities love one other site called Twitter. So what has been trending on Twitter for 2012?
First off, who among Hollywood's hottest and brightest have been the most tweeted about? Justin Bieber still rules the list followed by the boys of One Direction. Niall Horan comes in at number two followed closely by Taylor Swift's new beau, Harry Styles at number three. Zayn Malik ranks at number four while Louis Tomlinson makes it to number five. Ironically, Liam Payne didn't make it to the top five.
As for the most re-tweeted tweets, they are as follows:
1. "@justinbieber RIP Avalanna. i love you" - Of which has over 223,771 retweets
2. "@obeyMJ R.I.P. Whitney Houston. Retweet for respect." - To date has over 191,043 retweets
3. "@Harry_Styles We owe you everything. Thank you so much for this. Three VMAs!! YEAH .xx" - With over 125,379 retweets
4. "@BenSavage I'm going to be a father! Well, on TV at least. The "Boy Meets World" sequel is officially happening!" - Tweet has over 114,179 retweets
5. "@NiallOfficial Guys its been 2 years today since we were formed, its been incredible so far, its all down to you guys! Love you all soo much ! Thank you" - Of which has 103,772 retweets.
2012 also marked the most number of Twitter users. One Direction having gained popularity only this year had managed to earn the most number of followers of which are as follows:
1. @Harry_Styles +6,721,195 (493.39%)
2. @Louis_Tomlinson +5,881,122 (587.79%)
3. @onedirection +6,741,263 (605.05%)
4. @Real_Liam_Payne: +6,067,452 (608.47%)
5. @NiallOfficial: +6,664,920 (712.74%)
Celebrity events that gained much attention on Twitter include the death of Whitney Houston on February 11. The MTV Video Music Awards held on September 6 also gained a lot of attention on Twitter where the show managed to generate a whopping 14.7 million tweets. The Primetime Emmy Awards held on September 23 and the birth of Baby Blue also sparked an interest on the social networking site.