Top Trending Videos of 2012: From 'Gangnam Style' to 'Call Me Maybe' [VIDEOS]
By Diadem Pambid | December 19, 2012 3:45 PM EST
Taylor Swift's "I Knew You Were Trouble" could have made it to the top trending videos of YouTube if it had only been released a few months earlier. Well, too bad for TSwift but for other celebrities like Carly Rae Jepsen and Psy, their videos managed to make it to the Top Trending YouTube Videos of 2012. Check them all out here.
Hilariously, Psy's music video "Gangnam Style" tops the list and it has even managed to beat Justin Bieber's record for "Baby." Ironically, Psy's "Gangnam Style" video has been related to Nostradamus' prophecy that the world would end on December 21, 2012. Despite the video clearly not making any sense, the dance moves and the upbeat sound is enough to keep anyone hooked. To date, the video has over 971 million views.
Coming in at number two is a unique cover of Gotye's famous hit, "Somebody That I Used to Know." The band calls them Walk Off the Earth and in their music video, five of them play the song using only one guitar. To date, the video has over 140 million views.
"Stop Kony 2012" was quite the popular trend earlier in the year. The video created by Invisible Children Inc. inspired social media users from around the world to bring Ugandan warlord, Joseph Kony to justice for crimes against children and humanity. To date, the video has over 94 million views.
"Gangnam Style" might be the latest trend but before Psy was Carly Rae Jepsen and her catchy song that plagued radio stations worldwide, "Call Me Maybe." The video had inspired a lot of parodies of which had hilarious lyrics as well. Carly's infectious song and video managed to accumulate over 54 million views. "Call Me Maybe" official music video even includes the famous three namely Ashley Tisdale, Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber.
Coming in at number four is the epic and comical rap battle between presidential impersonators, Barack Obama and Mitt Romney. The video entitled "Epic Rap Battles of History: Barack Obama VS Mitt Romney" has over 45 million views.
Coming in at number five is "A Dramatic Surprise on a Quiet Store" by TNT with over 39 million views. Following at sixth is "Why You Asking All Them Questions?" by Emmanuel Hudson with 39 million views. Lindsey Stirling's "Crystallize (Dubstep Violin) ranks at number seven with over 38 million views while "Facebook Parenting: For the Troubled Teen" follows at 8 with 35 million views. Last at the ninth spot is Felix Baumgartner's "Supersonic Freefall from 128K :Mission Highlights" with over 30 million views.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Kanye West Abandons Kim Kardashian after 58 Days of Marriage – Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Things to Know About ‘Surprising, Explosive Ending’ of Andi Dorfman’s Season
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports