NRA's Facebook, Twitter Pages Return To Life After Critical Reports Emerge
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 19, 2012 2:24 PM EST
The National Rifle Association's Facebook and Twitter pages went back online Tuesday evening at the conclusion of a day marked by a slew media reports criticizing the NRA for going dark on social media and failing to address the Newtown, Conn., massacre last Friday that left 20 students, six adults and the shooter, Adam Lanza dead at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
The NRA's Facebook page went live again with the posting first of a graphic advertising a press conference scheduled for Friday in Washington, D.C., closely followed by the sharing of the full text of, and a link to, its first statement since the Newtown massacre, which it sent out to media professionals and posted on its Website earlier in the day as the criticism of the pro-gun group reached its peak.
"The NRA is made up of four million moms and dads, sons and daughters – and we were shocked, saddened and heartbroken by the news of the horrific and senseless murders in Newtown," the statement reads. "Out of respect for the families, and as a matter of common decency, we have given time for mourning, prayer and a full investigation of the facts before commenting. The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again."
There was no indication or comment provided to explain why the NRA Facebook page had been down since shortly after the shootings.
Between last Friday and Tuesday, the URL for the organization's Facebook page - which has racked up more than 1.7 million "likes" - redirected visitors instead to the Facebook homepage, and only a Facebook page for the official NRA blog, also silent between last Friday and Tuesday, remained to maintain the organization's presence on the popular social networking site.
The NRA's Twitter account has been accessible ever since last Friday's school massacre, but the first tweet from the gun organization since the tragedy came Tuesday afternoon, when the account tweeted out a link to the Tuesday statement accompanied by the following short message: "Important Statement from the National Rifle Association."
The tweet had only been retweeted 513 times and favorited 125 times within five hours of its being posted, despite the NRA account's massive reach on Twitter.
The last tweet before the Tuesday missive came the morning of the shooting, and included a photo of an ad for its holiday giveaway campaign accompanied by the following message: "10 Days of NRA Giveaways - Enter today for a chance to win an auto emergency tool!"
The fact that the official NRA statement issued by the organization, which is the largest pro-gun group in the United States, was officially described as an "important statement from the National Rifle Association," has drawn the ire of many who believe the group should offer a more robust public response to the Newtown school shooting, which continues to grip the nation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers