U.S. and Europe to be Surpassed by Asia in Economic and Military Power by 2030
By EW News Desk | December 19, 2012 2:06 PM EST
According to a new study by the National Intelligence Council, the United States will likely remain as "first among equals" in a multipolar world, but Asia's economy, military spending and technological investment will likely surpass that of the US and Europe combined by 2030.
Within two decades, China will also overtake the United States as the world's largest economy, a projection in-line with various independent forecasts.
The report said:
There will not be any hegemonic power. Power will shift to networks and coalitions in a multipolar world.
But the study said that the United States, while weaker, will most likely remain "first among equals" among the other great powers in 2030 because of its "preeminence across a range of power dimensions and legacies of its leadership role", as well as its "soft power" that attracts outsiders.
"Nevertheless, with the rapid rise of other countries, the 'unipolar moment' is over and Pax Americana - the era of American ascendancy in international politics that began in 1945 - is fast winding down," it said.
At the same time, the report warned of major uncertainty over China's rise as a global superpower.
"If Beijing fails to transition to a more sustainable, innovation-based economic model, it will remain a top-tier player in Asia, but the influence surrounding what has been a remarkable ascendance will dissipate," it said.
Speaking at a news briefing, Mathew Burrows, counsellor to the National Intelligence Council said:
Being the largest economic power is important... [but] it isn't necessarily the largest economic power that always is going to be the superpower.
If tensions keep rising in Asia, more nations will embrace US leadership and China "can be its own worst enemy," Burrows added.
Published every four years, the "Alternative Worlds" report from the National Intelligence Council aims to compile expert opinion and draw together a wide sweep of "megatrends" driving transformation in the world.
Join the Conversation
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Eurozone Indicators Forewarn Imminent Recession: Germany's Manufacturing Sector Slows
- Prince Charles to Reshape Monarchy When He Becomes King – Report
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- New Zealand's Anti-Terror Law is Ready For Debate In Parliament : PM Releases Final Draft
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James