Mayan Calendar End of the World Plea from French Mayor: ‘Do not come to Bugarach’
By Arlene Paredes | December 19, 2012 1:25 PM EST
Some believers of the Mayan calendar end of the world will flock to Pic de Bugarach, a supposedly mystical mountain in southern France, come Dec. 21. But the mayor of the small town with a population of 200 has aired an appeal to the public.
"I am making an appeal to the world -- do not come to Bugarach," said mayor Jean-Pierre Delord via an AFP report in World News Australia.
Pic de Bugarach, also called Peak of Bugarag, is considered a mystical mountain for its strange geological composition. Ancient tales have been passed on for generations on why Bugarag's top layer is older than the bottom layers. Some people call it an "upside-down mountain," which houses aliens who will emerge at the end of the world.
UFO, Aliens, and End of the World in a Small French Town
Pic de Bugarach is about 1,230 metres (4,040 ft) in height. The upside-down mountain is believed to have been made possible by aliens taking refuge inside the mountain. In the event of a doomsday, a UFO or space shuttle will take these aliens away along with some Earthlings. This is why some Mayan calendar end of the world believers are expected to overcrowd Bugarach come Dec. 21.
It has earlier been reported by The Independent that "up to 100,000 people" may gather at Bugarach ahead of the supposed doomsday 2012.
Mayan Calendar End of the World Safe Haven?
For Mayan calendar end of the world believers, Bugarach is the safe haven. But local authorities are apparently unhappy about the doomsday association to Pic de Bugarach.
An AFP report said 150 police officers have been called to make sure visitors are blocked from Bugarach particularly on Dec. 21. It is understood panic and chaos from overcrowding are some of the reasons why the small town is being blocked.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop