Hard Reset Samsung Galaxy S3 for Snappier, Error-Free Performance [Quick Guide]
By Erik Pineda | December 19, 2012 1:02 PM EST
Been toying with your Galaxy S3 for quite some time? Chances are it has had its fair amount of 'hard work' since you first unboxed this flagship smartphone from Samsung. All the intensive surfing and game playing on any device, according to Android experts, fill up its cache.
Eventually, this bloated data unnecessarily residing on your S3 will leave the handset prone to slow downs and errors and one sure-fire way of clearing them up is opting for 'hard reset' or factory reset.
Gadget experts love to call this procedure as 'spring cleaning', which practically pushes your phone back in a state when it was first rolled out of the production line. Everything inside the device is shining new. In effect, S3 owners will be getting a new phone, issue-free on the side, without forking out a dollar.
Hard resetting is relatively easy but bear in mind that submitting the Galaxy S3 through the process will erase everything in it. The months you spent filling it up with apps, data plus personalised settings will be completely wiped out.
If you wish to retain some of these, the prudent thing to do is back up first. This too is made easier thanks to the hardwork of XDA Developers, the folks responsible for the Galaxy S3 Toolkit, which GeniusGeeks.com described as "a comprehensive all-in-one tool that can handle almost any task."
For detailed explanation of the Toolkit's benefits and instructions on its functions, head out to this link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1703488.
Once you're done saving all the things you want to resurrect after the rebirth of your S3, check first that you have a fully-charged battery before proceeding to the main task. Note that you have three ways to go about it.
The first technique is triggered by pulling up the dial keys of your S3 and punching this combination: *2767*3855#. The phone will restart, which signals that the hard reset process has started. Expect cycle of reboots to follow but the most part, you just wait out and allow the task to complete itself.
The second method is by going through the S3's main menu. Tap the Settings on your phone then pull up the Back Up and Reset window. Then proceed to the Factory Data Reset and press Reset Device. Same as above, patiently wait out for the process to reach its final phase.
And the last option is commenced by powering down your Galaxy S3. Once the handset is completely turned off, activate the hard reset process by pressing down these buttons simultaneously: Volume Up + Home + Power.
After some moments of holding down the buttons, the S3 should bring up the native Recovery Mode menu on the screen. From the command options, choose 'wipe data/ factory reset' then confirm the instruction by clicking yes.
Android will then remove the phone's data and nudge it back to its original factory setting. To wrap up the process, reboot the S3 when prompted.
By the end of the whole procedure, you'll have your old Galaxy S3 but refreshed, snappier and error-free this time.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Tweens Fool Their Parents Online, McAfee Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report