Liverpool Transfer News: Ince, Gomis, Turan And Yilmaz Involved in Latest Speculation
By Jason Le Miere | December 19, 2012 9:13 AM EST
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has confirmed that he is looking to bolster the attacking area of his squad in next month’s transfer window, but has said it may not be until next summer that he can truly reshape his squad.
Ever since Liverpool failed to sign a striker in the closing stages of the summer transfer window, it has been widely accepted both inside and outside the club that the Reds were desperately short of forward options. Currently Luis Suarez and the injured Fabio Borini are the only established strikers on Liverpool’s books.
"There is no doubt we will get reinforcements in January and there is no doubt that we will get the backing, but it will come down to two things—the availability and affordability of players," Rodgers said, according to Liverpool’s official website.
"I see lots of names bandied about and, with all due respect, names that are pie in the sky because there won't be too many top players moving about in January because clubs want top money.
"But there is no doubt that we want to bring in goals and we want to bring in players who can assist in scoring goals.
It has been widely reported that Liverpool will complete deals for both Chelsea’s Daniel Sturridge and Blackpool’s Tom Ince when the transfer window opens. While there has been no further talk about Sturridge’s proposed move, Blackpool have denied that any deal has yet been struck for winger Ince.
"There have been no bids as far as I'm aware," said manager Michael Appleton, according to Sky Sports. "I think there have been conversations with a couple of clubs and the chairman, but nothing concrete.
"No-one has come in yet and set the marker in terms of a price.
"If the worst did happen in January, and we did lose Tom, then we have to make sure we have replacements ready,” he added. “They will have to fill some very big shoes."
According to the Sun, Liverpool are also monitoring Galatasaray striker Burak Yilmaz. The 27-year-old has scored nine goals in the Turkish league this season plus a further six in the Champions League. The report states that the Reds were set to watch Yilmaz in Saturday’s derby with Fernerbahce.
Another Turkey international who may also soon be arriving at Anfield is Atletico Madrid’s Arda Turan. The attacking midfielder has previously confessed to being a Liverpool fan while also saying that he would relish the opportunity to play for the club in the future.
And that day may be near with Turan’s agent claiming that the 25-year-old will be leaving Atletico at the end of the season.
“I have wanted to see [Arda] play for another team in another league and Arda also wants to play for another club," Ahmet Bulut said, according to TalkSport.
"He wants a different experience. We are working now to try and do exactly that.
"Atletico know of our intentions. If successful, Arda will leave Atleti at the end of the season."
There have also been reports that Liverpool are keen on France international striker Bafetimbi Gomis. Having scored 10 goals in 18 appearances for second-placed Lyon in Ligue 1 this season, the 27-year-old is also being linked with Chelsea.
Gomis has admitted that he would be open to a move.
"I'm happy, but if it is for my interest, and the three parties are OK and I can progress, then yes. The interest is flattering," Gomis told Canal+.
"These are big names [Liverpool and Chelsea]. But I do not pollute my mind with the idea of a departure. Anything can go very quickly in football."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers