Liverpool Transfer News: Ince, Gomis, Turan And Yilmaz Involved in Latest Speculation
By Jason Le Miere | December 19, 2012 9:13 AM EST
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has confirmed that he is looking to bolster the attacking area of his squad in next month’s transfer window, but has said it may not be until next summer that he can truly reshape his squad.
Ever since Liverpool failed to sign a striker in the closing stages of the summer transfer window, it has been widely accepted both inside and outside the club that the Reds were desperately short of forward options. Currently Luis Suarez and the injured Fabio Borini are the only established strikers on Liverpool’s books.
"There is no doubt we will get reinforcements in January and there is no doubt that we will get the backing, but it will come down to two things—the availability and affordability of players," Rodgers said, according to Liverpool’s official website.
"I see lots of names bandied about and, with all due respect, names that are pie in the sky because there won't be too many top players moving about in January because clubs want top money.
"But there is no doubt that we want to bring in goals and we want to bring in players who can assist in scoring goals.
It has been widely reported that Liverpool will complete deals for both Chelsea’s Daniel Sturridge and Blackpool’s Tom Ince when the transfer window opens. While there has been no further talk about Sturridge’s proposed move, Blackpool have denied that any deal has yet been struck for winger Ince.
"There have been no bids as far as I'm aware," said manager Michael Appleton, according to Sky Sports. "I think there have been conversations with a couple of clubs and the chairman, but nothing concrete.
"No-one has come in yet and set the marker in terms of a price.
"If the worst did happen in January, and we did lose Tom, then we have to make sure we have replacements ready,” he added. “They will have to fill some very big shoes."
According to the Sun, Liverpool are also monitoring Galatasaray striker Burak Yilmaz. The 27-year-old has scored nine goals in the Turkish league this season plus a further six in the Champions League. The report states that the Reds were set to watch Yilmaz in Saturday’s derby with Fernerbahce.
Another Turkey international who may also soon be arriving at Anfield is Atletico Madrid’s Arda Turan. The attacking midfielder has previously confessed to being a Liverpool fan while also saying that he would relish the opportunity to play for the club in the future.
And that day may be near with Turan’s agent claiming that the 25-year-old will be leaving Atletico at the end of the season.
“I have wanted to see [Arda] play for another team in another league and Arda also wants to play for another club," Ahmet Bulut said, according to TalkSport.
"He wants a different experience. We are working now to try and do exactly that.
"Atletico know of our intentions. If successful, Arda will leave Atleti at the end of the season."
There have also been reports that Liverpool are keen on France international striker Bafetimbi Gomis. Having scored 10 goals in 18 appearances for second-placed Lyon in Ligue 1 this season, the 27-year-old is also being linked with Chelsea.
Gomis has admitted that he would be open to a move.
"I'm happy, but if it is for my interest, and the three parties are OK and I can progress, then yes. The interest is flattering," Gomis told Canal+.
"These are big names [Liverpool and Chelsea]. But I do not pollute my mind with the idea of a departure. Anything can go very quickly in football."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]