Hillary Clinton 2016? If Not The White House, Maybe The Silver Screen
By Christopher Zara | December 19, 2012 9:19 AM EST
One of Washington’s most enduring power couples may soon be elected to a theater near you.
The “Black List,” Hollywood’s unofficial roundup of the hottest unproduced screenplays of the year, was announced on Monday, and one of the projects in development is already generating some Clintonian buzz.
Young Il Kim’s script “Rodham,” which placed fourth on the coveted list, has all the makings of a biopic, prequel, love story and courtroom drama all rolled into one. Set during the height of the Watergate scandal, the story centers on the rising-star attorney Hillary Rodham, the youngest lawyer chosen for the House Judiciary Committee to Impeach Nixon. Rodham’s promising destiny seems all but set in stone as her career in Washington politics is about to take off. But there’s just one problem: She still has unresolved feelings for her ex-boyfriend, a young Arkansas law professor named Bill Clinton. “Rodham” is based on the true-life events that led up to Clinton’s first run for public office in the 1970s.
According to the Los Angeles Times, the script has already been optioned by Temple Hill Entertainment, the company behind Catherine Hardwicke’s “The Nativity Story.” While an option typically means that a company is just holding onto a project as it gauges investor interest, the additional “Black List” buzz could be just the push this story needs to become a reality. And if the development process takes as long as it usually does, it might make it to theaters just in time to rattle some feathers for the 2016 presidential election. (Karma’s a bitch, Dinesh D’Souza.)
Published every December since 2004, the “Black List” survey is compiled by Franklin Leonard, a former development executive, who asks more than 290 film executives to contribute their 10 favorite unproduced scripts of the year. In order to make the list, a script has to receive at least six mentions from Hollywood development execs. “Rodham” received 39 mentions. This year’s top script, a story about the NFL draft, received 65.
Of course, not all of the scripts on the list will get produced, but IndieWire on Monday took a look at the top ten scripts from past years and found that a good percentage of them do. Those include Diablo Cody’s “Juno,” Nancy Oliver’s “Lars and the Real Girl” and Aaron Sorkin’s “Charlie Wilson’s War,” among many others. Still others are reportedly making their way through various stages of development hell, including a biopic about the legendary comedian Richard Pryor.
That said, “Rodham’s” chances of getting produced are even higher than average given the frequency with which movies involving presidents make it to the big screen these days. Case in point: Bill Murray’s FDR and Daniel Day-Lewis’s Lincoln may be slugging it out come Oscar time early next year. To top it off, “Rodham” centers around a love story between two twenty-somethings, which means the possibilities for A-list, Gen-Y casting are endless.
Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Bill Clinton? It wouldn’t be the first time he’s had to wear a prosthetic nose.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate