Hillary Clinton 2016? If Not The White House, Maybe The Silver Screen
By Christopher Zara | December 19, 2012 9:19 AM EST
One of Washington’s most enduring power couples may soon be elected to a theater near you.
The “Black List,” Hollywood’s unofficial roundup of the hottest unproduced screenplays of the year, was announced on Monday, and one of the projects in development is already generating some Clintonian buzz.
Young Il Kim’s script “Rodham,” which placed fourth on the coveted list, has all the makings of a biopic, prequel, love story and courtroom drama all rolled into one. Set during the height of the Watergate scandal, the story centers on the rising-star attorney Hillary Rodham, the youngest lawyer chosen for the House Judiciary Committee to Impeach Nixon. Rodham’s promising destiny seems all but set in stone as her career in Washington politics is about to take off. But there’s just one problem: She still has unresolved feelings for her ex-boyfriend, a young Arkansas law professor named Bill Clinton. “Rodham” is based on the true-life events that led up to Clinton’s first run for public office in the 1970s.
According to the Los Angeles Times, the script has already been optioned by Temple Hill Entertainment, the company behind Catherine Hardwicke’s “The Nativity Story.” While an option typically means that a company is just holding onto a project as it gauges investor interest, the additional “Black List” buzz could be just the push this story needs to become a reality. And if the development process takes as long as it usually does, it might make it to theaters just in time to rattle some feathers for the 2016 presidential election. (Karma’s a bitch, Dinesh D’Souza.)
Published every December since 2004, the “Black List” survey is compiled by Franklin Leonard, a former development executive, who asks more than 290 film executives to contribute their 10 favorite unproduced scripts of the year. In order to make the list, a script has to receive at least six mentions from Hollywood development execs. “Rodham” received 39 mentions. This year’s top script, a story about the NFL draft, received 65.
Of course, not all of the scripts on the list will get produced, but IndieWire on Monday took a look at the top ten scripts from past years and found that a good percentage of them do. Those include Diablo Cody’s “Juno,” Nancy Oliver’s “Lars and the Real Girl” and Aaron Sorkin’s “Charlie Wilson’s War,” among many others. Still others are reportedly making their way through various stages of development hell, including a biopic about the legendary comedian Richard Pryor.
That said, “Rodham’s” chances of getting produced are even higher than average given the frequency with which movies involving presidents make it to the big screen these days. Case in point: Bill Murray’s FDR and Daniel Day-Lewis’s Lincoln may be slugging it out come Oscar time early next year. To top it off, “Rodham” centers around a love story between two twenty-somethings, which means the possibilities for A-list, Gen-Y casting are endless.
Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Bill Clinton? It wouldn’t be the first time he’s had to wear a prosthetic nose.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones