Pic De Bugarach: French Mountain Closed To Mayan Apocalypse 2012 Believers [PHOTO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 19, 2012 8:48 AM EST
Believers in the Mayan apocalypse who think the world will end on Dec. 21, 2012, can cross the Pic de Bugarach off their list of refuges after the mayor of nearby Bugarach, France, said he’s blocking the site from visitors.
Doomsday believers think the apocalypse will occur Friday, because Dec. 21, 2012, marks a new cycle in the Mayan Long Count calendar.
Those believing in the end of the world also maintain that a few “sacred mountains,” including the Pic de Bugarach, are among the places that alien spaceships will hover over to save humans, according to the Daily Telegraph.
The tabloid reported that Jean-Pierre Delord, mayor of Bugarach, is not going to allow outsiders descending on his town.
“I am making an appeal to the world – do not come to Bugarach,” Delord said, according to the Telegraph.
Bugarach, a village of some 200 people in southwestern France, will be blocked off from visitors starting Wednesday.
Pic de Bugarach, the nearby mountain, will be closed off too. About 150 police officers will be on duty to turn away visitors, according to the Telegraph. The tabloid noted that journalists have descended on the town since interest is growing with the alleged Mayan apocalypse approaching.
Bugarach is trying to cash in on the frenzy, with “authentic Bugarach stones” and “natural pyramids of pyrite iron” for sale, the Daily Mail reported.
One resident is offering visitors a stay at his home for $1,950 a night, according to the paper. “I possess a rare asset, the land of immortality,” he told French newspaper La Depeche du Midi.
Meanwhile, residents said there were cases of strange activity in Bugarach.
“People walking on the mountain report that their cameras jammed when they tried to take pictures. They heard strange noises coming from underground,” Patrice Etienne, an organic café manager, told The Sun. “We have seen military aircraft, police and soldiers. It’s like a Spielberg movie. They are looking for something. There is something in this mountain, definitely.”
Delord told the British tabloid that some residents have been reacting strangely, including walking up the Pic de Bugarach naked and carrying gold orbs up the mountain.
“I’m not against people’s beliefs but worry about the number of people coming because they think it’s the end of the world,” he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features