Is Google Trying to Rob Microsoft Blind?
By Mark Knapp | December 19, 2012 5:53 AM EST
The anticipation at Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) and Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) must be boiling to the top, as both companies now await the verdict of their patent lawsuit, which could mean millions of dollars a year or far, far less.
What’s the deal?
In November, was brought to court by Motorola, which is now owned by Google, over the use of Motorola patents in Microsoft products like Xbox and Windows 8. Two key patents are a video compression and a Wi-Fi patent. The judge overseeing the case is expected to rule on it early next year.
Catalysts are critical to discovering winning stocks. Check out our newest CHEAT SHEET stock picks now.
CHEAT SHEET Analysis: Will the judge’s decision move share prices, by how much, and whose?
One of the core components of our CHEAT SHEET Investing Framework focuses on catalysts that will move a company’s stock. A court decision with in the balance certainly has potential to move share prices, but how much will depend on the valuation the Motorola patents receive.
What’s at stake?
Microsoft is pushing for each patent to be valued at less than $1 million per year, while Motorola sought to receive a percentage of Microsoft’s sales on products using the patents, which could amount to more than $100 million a year. For the video compression patent alone, Motorola is hoping for 200 times more than Microsoft believes it should pay. If the judge supports Motorola, Google could see a boost as it would own a valuable patent portfolio with Motorola. If the judge supports Microsoft, Google could dip down as its patent portfolio is devalued. Microsoft, in turn, would keep more of its product revenue.
Copyright Wall St Cheat Street All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales