Is Google Trying to Rob Microsoft Blind?
By Mark Knapp | December 19, 2012 5:53 AM EST
The anticipation at Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) and Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) must be boiling to the top, as both companies now await the verdict of their patent lawsuit, which could mean millions of dollars a year or far, far less.
What’s the deal?
In November, was brought to court by Motorola, which is now owned by Google, over the use of Motorola patents in Microsoft products like Xbox and Windows 8. Two key patents are a video compression and a Wi-Fi patent. The judge overseeing the case is expected to rule on it early next year.
Catalysts are critical to discovering winning stocks. Check out our newest CHEAT SHEET stock picks now.
CHEAT SHEET Analysis: Will the judge’s decision move share prices, by how much, and whose?
One of the core components of our CHEAT SHEET Investing Framework focuses on catalysts that will move a company’s stock. A court decision with in the balance certainly has potential to move share prices, but how much will depend on the valuation the Motorola patents receive.
What’s at stake?
Microsoft is pushing for each patent to be valued at less than $1 million per year, while Motorola sought to receive a percentage of Microsoft’s sales on products using the patents, which could amount to more than $100 million a year. For the video compression patent alone, Motorola is hoping for 200 times more than Microsoft believes it should pay. If the judge supports Motorola, Google could see a boost as it would own a valuable patent portfolio with Motorola. If the judge supports Microsoft, Google could dip down as its patent portfolio is devalued. Microsoft, in turn, would keep more of its product revenue.
Copyright Wall St Cheat Street All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6