Is Google Trying to Rob Microsoft Blind?
By Mark Knapp | December 19, 2012 5:53 AM EST
The anticipation at Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) and Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) must be boiling to the top, as both companies now await the verdict of their patent lawsuit, which could mean millions of dollars a year or far, far less.
What’s the deal?
In November, was brought to court by Motorola, which is now owned by Google, over the use of Motorola patents in Microsoft products like Xbox and Windows 8. Two key patents are a video compression and a Wi-Fi patent. The judge overseeing the case is expected to rule on it early next year.
Catalysts are critical to discovering winning stocks. Check out our newest CHEAT SHEET stock picks now.
CHEAT SHEET Analysis: Will the judge’s decision move share prices, by how much, and whose?
One of the core components of our CHEAT SHEET Investing Framework focuses on catalysts that will move a company’s stock. A court decision with in the balance certainly has potential to move share prices, but how much will depend on the valuation the Motorola patents receive.
What’s at stake?
Microsoft is pushing for each patent to be valued at less than $1 million per year, while Motorola sought to receive a percentage of Microsoft’s sales on products using the patents, which could amount to more than $100 million a year. For the video compression patent alone, Motorola is hoping for 200 times more than Microsoft believes it should pay. If the judge supports Motorola, Google could see a boost as it would own a valuable patent portfolio with Motorola. If the judge supports Microsoft, Google could dip down as its patent portfolio is devalued. Microsoft, in turn, would keep more of its product revenue.
Copyright Wall St Cheat Street All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers