Utah Sixth Grader Brings Unloaded Gun To School, Says His Parents Encouraged Him To Following Sandy Hook Shooting
By IBTIMES STAFF REPORTER | December 19, 2012 5:58 AM EST
An 11-year-old Utah boy was confronted by teachers after bringing an unloaded handgun to school, allegedly at the prodding of his parents, following the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, Fox reports.
The unidentified Salt Lake City sixth grader brandished a .22 caliber handgun during recess at the West Kearns Elementary School and showed it to fellow students, reportedly pointing it at a female classmate's head and threatening to kill her.
Teachers were not immediately alerted about the situation. When students finally brought it to their attention, the boy was apprehended and the weapon secured in 30 to 45 seconds, a district spokesman told Fox.
Following the incident, however, no lockdown measures were put into place, which irked many parents. Further, they felt the school inadequately notified them of the situation, according to reports.
"There was no lockdown. No one was called. Nothing was done. And then we had to hear it from our kids," John Klaus, a father of a student at the school, told Fox.
School administrators say there was no need for a lockdown because they determined that the situation was resolved as soon as they got involved. They also were wary not to startle students.
Police are currently investigating what role the boy's parents played in the incident. The 11-year-old was taken to a juvenile hall and could face criminal charges and/or expulsion from school.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- US-led Coalition Has Launched First Airstrike vs. ISIS in Syria – Pentagon
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia
- ISIS Used 'GTA 5' in Teen Recruitment Video, Violent Games Help Gain More Followers
- Chilling: Group Deadlier Than ISIS Had Risen
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4