Utah Sixth Grader Brings Unloaded Gun To School, Says His Parents Encouraged Him To Following Sandy Hook Shooting
By IBTIMES STAFF REPORTER | December 19, 2012 5:58 AM EST
An 11-year-old Utah boy was confronted by teachers after bringing an unloaded handgun to school, allegedly at the prodding of his parents, following the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, Fox reports.
The unidentified Salt Lake City sixth grader brandished a .22 caliber handgun during recess at the West Kearns Elementary School and showed it to fellow students, reportedly pointing it at a female classmate's head and threatening to kill her.
Teachers were not immediately alerted about the situation. When students finally brought it to their attention, the boy was apprehended and the weapon secured in 30 to 45 seconds, a district spokesman told Fox.
Following the incident, however, no lockdown measures were put into place, which irked many parents. Further, they felt the school inadequately notified them of the situation, according to reports.
"There was no lockdown. No one was called. Nothing was done. And then we had to hear it from our kids," John Klaus, a father of a student at the school, told Fox.
School administrators say there was no need for a lockdown because they determined that the situation was resolved as soon as they got involved. They also were wary not to startle students.
Police are currently investigating what role the boy's parents played in the incident. The 11-year-old was taken to a juvenile hall and could face criminal charges and/or expulsion from school.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Canada Claims Good Progress in EU Trade Pact Despite Germany’s Defiant Postures
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015