Utah Sixth Grader Brings Unloaded Gun To School, Says His Parents Encouraged Him To Following Sandy Hook Shooting
By IBTIMES STAFF REPORTER | December 19, 2012 5:58 AM EST
An 11-year-old Utah boy was confronted by teachers after bringing an unloaded handgun to school, allegedly at the prodding of his parents, following the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, Fox reports.
The unidentified Salt Lake City sixth grader brandished a .22 caliber handgun during recess at the West Kearns Elementary School and showed it to fellow students, reportedly pointing it at a female classmate's head and threatening to kill her.
Teachers were not immediately alerted about the situation. When students finally brought it to their attention, the boy was apprehended and the weapon secured in 30 to 45 seconds, a district spokesman told Fox.
Following the incident, however, no lockdown measures were put into place, which irked many parents. Further, they felt the school inadequately notified them of the situation, according to reports.
"There was no lockdown. No one was called. Nothing was done. And then we had to hear it from our kids," John Klaus, a father of a student at the school, told Fox.
School administrators say there was no need for a lockdown because they determined that the situation was resolved as soon as they got involved. They also were wary not to startle students.
Police are currently investigating what role the boy's parents played in the incident. The 11-year-old was taken to a juvenile hall and could face criminal charges and/or expulsion from school.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Ideological Support Swells for Scottish Independence
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch Wants Putin's Daughter Maria Deported to Russia From Holland
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Gaza Crisis: 695 Dead & 4,500 Injured, UN Accuses Israel of War Crimes
- 3 Almost Believable Internet Theories on the Malaysia Airlines MH17 Crash
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports