Neon Roberts, 7, to Get Brain Cancer Surgery against Mum's Wishes
By Hannah Osborne | December 19, 2012 4:14 AM EST
A high court judge has ruled that a boy whose mother had refused to allow doctors to operate on him for a brain tumour should undergo surgery.
Sally Roberts, 37, from Brighton, had kidnapped her seven-year-old son Neon in an "act of desperation" to stop him getting further treatment for his cancer.
Roberts took Neon after doctors informed her that a brain tumour had returned and he needed another operation "urgently" to save his life. Tests had shown that a residual tumour was present in his brain.
Mrs Roberts rerturned with Neon but refused consent for the surgery. She claimed the medical advice was flawed and wanted a second opinion.
At the family division of the high court, Mr Justice Bodey heard evidence from doctors saying that Neon would die if he did not have another operation.
His doctor said it was highly likely that Neon would die in a "relatively short period" without more treatment.
Radiotherapy treatment ruling expected
Although the ruling means Neon will have the life-saving surgery, further discussions are expected over the radiotherapy treatment he will need afterwards.
Roberts said she was worried that it would cause Neon suffering in the long-term. But doctors have warned that he would die within months without it.
Ben Roberts, Neon's father and Sally Roberts' estranged husband, agreed to radiotherapy but remained "apprehensive".
Neon first underwent surgery for his brain tumour in 2011. He is now being treated in a hospital that cannot be named for legal reasons.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Australia's Direct Action Policy To Increase Projected Emmisions By 2020 -- UN Report
- Canadian Soldier Dies in 'Freak Accident' at Work
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners