Neon Roberts, 7, to Get Brain Cancer Surgery against Mum's Wishes
By Hannah Osborne | December 19, 2012 4:14 AM EST
A high court judge has ruled that a boy whose mother had refused to allow doctors to operate on him for a brain tumour should undergo surgery.
Sally Roberts, 37, from Brighton, had kidnapped her seven-year-old son Neon in an "act of desperation" to stop him getting further treatment for his cancer.
Roberts took Neon after doctors informed her that a brain tumour had returned and he needed another operation "urgently" to save his life. Tests had shown that a residual tumour was present in his brain.
Mrs Roberts rerturned with Neon but refused consent for the surgery. She claimed the medical advice was flawed and wanted a second opinion.
At the family division of the high court, Mr Justice Bodey heard evidence from doctors saying that Neon would die if he did not have another operation.
His doctor said it was highly likely that Neon would die in a "relatively short period" without more treatment.
Radiotherapy treatment ruling expected
Although the ruling means Neon will have the life-saving surgery, further discussions are expected over the radiotherapy treatment he will need afterwards.
Roberts said she was worried that it would cause Neon suffering in the long-term. But doctors have warned that he would die within months without it.
Ben Roberts, Neon's father and Sally Roberts' estranged husband, agreed to radiotherapy but remained "apprehensive".
Neon first underwent surgery for his brain tumour in 2011. He is now being treated in a hospital that cannot be named for legal reasons.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft