Neon Roberts, 7, to Get Brain Cancer Surgery against Mum's Wishes
By Hannah Osborne | December 19, 2012 4:14 AM EST
A high court judge has ruled that a boy whose mother had refused to allow doctors to operate on him for a brain tumour should undergo surgery.
Sally Roberts, 37, from Brighton, had kidnapped her seven-year-old son Neon in an "act of desperation" to stop him getting further treatment for his cancer.
Roberts took Neon after doctors informed her that a brain tumour had returned and he needed another operation "urgently" to save his life. Tests had shown that a residual tumour was present in his brain.
Mrs Roberts rerturned with Neon but refused consent for the surgery. She claimed the medical advice was flawed and wanted a second opinion.
At the family division of the high court, Mr Justice Bodey heard evidence from doctors saying that Neon would die if he did not have another operation.
His doctor said it was highly likely that Neon would die in a "relatively short period" without more treatment.
Radiotherapy treatment ruling expected
Although the ruling means Neon will have the life-saving surgery, further discussions are expected over the radiotherapy treatment he will need afterwards.
Roberts said she was worried that it would cause Neon suffering in the long-term. But doctors have warned that he would die within months without it.
Ben Roberts, Neon's father and Sally Roberts' estranged husband, agreed to radiotherapy but remained "apprehensive".
Neon first underwent surgery for his brain tumour in 2011. He is now being treated in a hospital that cannot be named for legal reasons.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People