Neon Roberts, 7, to Get Brain Cancer Surgery against Mum's Wishes
By Hannah Osborne | December 19, 2012 4:14 AM EST
A high court judge has ruled that a boy whose mother had refused to allow doctors to operate on him for a brain tumour should undergo surgery.
Sally Roberts, 37, from Brighton, had kidnapped her seven-year-old son Neon in an "act of desperation" to stop him getting further treatment for his cancer.
Roberts took Neon after doctors informed her that a brain tumour had returned and he needed another operation "urgently" to save his life. Tests had shown that a residual tumour was present in his brain.
Mrs Roberts rerturned with Neon but refused consent for the surgery. She claimed the medical advice was flawed and wanted a second opinion.
At the family division of the high court, Mr Justice Bodey heard evidence from doctors saying that Neon would die if he did not have another operation.
His doctor said it was highly likely that Neon would die in a "relatively short period" without more treatment.
Radiotherapy treatment ruling expected
Although the ruling means Neon will have the life-saving surgery, further discussions are expected over the radiotherapy treatment he will need afterwards.
Roberts said she was worried that it would cause Neon suffering in the long-term. But doctors have warned that he would die within months without it.
Ben Roberts, Neon's father and Sally Roberts' estranged husband, agreed to radiotherapy but remained "apprehensive".
Neon first underwent surgery for his brain tumour in 2011. He is now being treated in a hospital that cannot be named for legal reasons.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date