Noah Syndergaard: Mets Prospect In R.A. Dickey Trade Deletes Anti-Gay Tweet [REPORT]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 19, 2012 4:07 AM EST
Noah Syndergaard is not getting his career in the New York Mets organization off to a good start after being acquired on Monday from the Toronto Blue Jays in the R.A. Dickey trade. The pitching prospect reportedly used an ant-gay slur in a tweet that has since been deleted.
The tweet appeared Dec. 8, a week before the Mets acquired Syndergaard, highly touted catching prospect Travis d’Arnaud, prospect Wuilmer Buecerra and Major League catcher John Buck from Toronto in exchange for the 2012 NL Cy Young Award Winner. The tweet has since been deleted, according to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, who first reported on the social media blunder.
Syndergaard, 20, was corresponding with Twitter user Dayton Marze, who has the Twitter handle @DMarze89. Marze's tweets are protected.
According to Martino, Syndergaard wrote, “@DMarze89 nice crocs f—lol."
A spokesman for the Mets said the franchise would be looking into the anti-gay tweet, but Martino noted that “the full context of the tweet was not immediately clear.”
On his Twitter account, Martino said some believe the anti-gay tweet was just a mistake by a young kid. But the Mets beat writer also gave the alternative view.
“Some feedback saying hey, he's 20. Leave him alone. Look, he's a public figure, old enough to serve, vote, etc., and he did this publicly,” Martino tweeted.
Meanwhile, Syndergaard has gained a few new fans since he was acquired by the Mets. He now has more than 5,700 followers.
“Wow! Loving the new followers
@Mets fans really do rule twitter!” he wrote.
The pitching prospect also said he was grateful to his old organization.
“Just want to thank the
@BlueJays and all of its fans for welcoming into their organization. Its been a tremendous journey,” Syndergaard wrote. “That being said, I am extremely excited to start a new path with the New York @Mets. Proud to call myself a Met!!
While d’Arnoud, rated the No. 5 prospect in baseball in 2012, was the highlight of the Dickey trade from the Mets’ perspective, Syndergaard wasn’t exactly a throw-in.
The 20-year-old, who pitched at Class-A Lansing, was considered to be the Jays’ top pitching prospect. MetsBlog, citing Baseball America, said Syndergaard “had the best fastball in Toronto’s farm system.”
The Dickey trade had been discussed for days before Toronto and New York completed the deal Monday. The Cy Young winner, who was signed through 2013 at a bargain price of $5 million, will be receiving $26 million through 2015 from the Blue Jays.
Syndergaard is not expected to contribute to the Mets in 2013.
Michael Barron of MetsBlog said the pitcher “ could easily be considered the best pitching prospect in the system once Zack Wheeler graduates from the Minor Leagues.”
Wheeler was acquired in 2011 from the San Francisco Giants when the Mets traded away Carlos Beltran.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown