Noah Syndergaard: Mets Prospect In R.A. Dickey Trade Deletes Anti-Gay Tweet [REPORT]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 19, 2012 4:07 AM EST
Noah Syndergaard is not getting his career in the New York Mets organization off to a good start after being acquired on Monday from the Toronto Blue Jays in the R.A. Dickey trade. The pitching prospect reportedly used an ant-gay slur in a tweet that has since been deleted.
The tweet appeared Dec. 8, a week before the Mets acquired Syndergaard, highly touted catching prospect Travis d’Arnaud, prospect Wuilmer Buecerra and Major League catcher John Buck from Toronto in exchange for the 2012 NL Cy Young Award Winner. The tweet has since been deleted, according to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, who first reported on the social media blunder.
Syndergaard, 20, was corresponding with Twitter user Dayton Marze, who has the Twitter handle @DMarze89. Marze's tweets are protected.
According to Martino, Syndergaard wrote, “@DMarze89 nice crocs f—lol."
A spokesman for the Mets said the franchise would be looking into the anti-gay tweet, but Martino noted that “the full context of the tweet was not immediately clear.”
On his Twitter account, Martino said some believe the anti-gay tweet was just a mistake by a young kid. But the Mets beat writer also gave the alternative view.
“Some feedback saying hey, he's 20. Leave him alone. Look, he's a public figure, old enough to serve, vote, etc., and he did this publicly,” Martino tweeted.
Meanwhile, Syndergaard has gained a few new fans since he was acquired by the Mets. He now has more than 5,700 followers.
“Wow! Loving the new followers
@Mets fans really do rule twitter!” he wrote.
The pitching prospect also said he was grateful to his old organization.
“Just want to thank the
@BlueJays and all of its fans for welcoming into their organization. Its been a tremendous journey,” Syndergaard wrote. “That being said, I am extremely excited to start a new path with the New York @Mets. Proud to call myself a Met!!
While d’Arnoud, rated the No. 5 prospect in baseball in 2012, was the highlight of the Dickey trade from the Mets’ perspective, Syndergaard wasn’t exactly a throw-in.
The 20-year-old, who pitched at Class-A Lansing, was considered to be the Jays’ top pitching prospect. MetsBlog, citing Baseball America, said Syndergaard “had the best fastball in Toronto’s farm system.”
The Dickey trade had been discussed for days before Toronto and New York completed the deal Monday. The Cy Young winner, who was signed through 2013 at a bargain price of $5 million, will be receiving $26 million through 2015 from the Blue Jays.
Syndergaard is not expected to contribute to the Mets in 2013.
Michael Barron of MetsBlog said the pitcher “ could easily be considered the best pitching prospect in the system once Zack Wheeler graduates from the Minor Leagues.”
Wheeler was acquired in 2011 from the San Francisco Giants when the Mets traded away Carlos Beltran.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Door Is Open For Brock Lesnar To Make UFC Return -- Dana White
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899