Noah Syndergaard: Mets Prospect In R.A. Dickey Trade Deletes Anti-Gay Tweet [REPORT]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 19, 2012 4:07 AM EST
Noah Syndergaard is not getting his career in the New York Mets organization off to a good start after being acquired on Monday from the Toronto Blue Jays in the R.A. Dickey trade. The pitching prospect reportedly used an ant-gay slur in a tweet that has since been deleted.
The tweet appeared Dec. 8, a week before the Mets acquired Syndergaard, highly touted catching prospect Travis d’Arnaud, prospect Wuilmer Buecerra and Major League catcher John Buck from Toronto in exchange for the 2012 NL Cy Young Award Winner. The tweet has since been deleted, according to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, who first reported on the social media blunder.
Syndergaard, 20, was corresponding with Twitter user Dayton Marze, who has the Twitter handle @DMarze89. Marze's tweets are protected.
According to Martino, Syndergaard wrote, “@DMarze89 nice crocs f—lol."
A spokesman for the Mets said the franchise would be looking into the anti-gay tweet, but Martino noted that “the full context of the tweet was not immediately clear.”
On his Twitter account, Martino said some believe the anti-gay tweet was just a mistake by a young kid. But the Mets beat writer also gave the alternative view.
“Some feedback saying hey, he's 20. Leave him alone. Look, he's a public figure, old enough to serve, vote, etc., and he did this publicly,” Martino tweeted.
Meanwhile, Syndergaard has gained a few new fans since he was acquired by the Mets. He now has more than 5,700 followers.
“Wow! Loving the new followers
@Mets fans really do rule twitter!” he wrote.
The pitching prospect also said he was grateful to his old organization.
“Just want to thank the
@BlueJays and all of its fans for welcoming into their organization. Its been a tremendous journey,” Syndergaard wrote. “That being said, I am extremely excited to start a new path with the New York @Mets. Proud to call myself a Met!!
While d’Arnoud, rated the No. 5 prospect in baseball in 2012, was the highlight of the Dickey trade from the Mets’ perspective, Syndergaard wasn’t exactly a throw-in.
The 20-year-old, who pitched at Class-A Lansing, was considered to be the Jays’ top pitching prospect. MetsBlog, citing Baseball America, said Syndergaard “had the best fastball in Toronto’s farm system.”
The Dickey trade had been discussed for days before Toronto and New York completed the deal Monday. The Cy Young winner, who was signed through 2013 at a bargain price of $5 million, will be receiving $26 million through 2015 from the Blue Jays.
Syndergaard is not expected to contribute to the Mets in 2013.
Michael Barron of MetsBlog said the pitcher “ could easily be considered the best pitching prospect in the system once Zack Wheeler graduates from the Minor Leagues.”
Wheeler was acquired in 2011 from the San Francisco Giants when the Mets traded away Carlos Beltran.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones