McDonald's McRib Sandwich Makes Yet Another Limited Time Appearance
By IB Times Staff Reporter | December 19, 2012 4:00 AM EST
The infamous McRib sandwich returned to McDonald's restaurants Monday for another limited time engagement to the delight of fans everywhere.
The McRib Locator website is overrun with confirmed sightings of the sandwich, some as early as Dec. 8, when a woman found it at a Los Angeles location.
According to NPR, the McRib actually arrived later in the year than usual as it tends to make its appearance in October.
Ian Chillag of NPR suggested that it is usually associated with Halloween because, "it's non-food wearing a food costume."
The boneless barbecue pork sandwich, inspired by southern BBQ is fashioned to look like a rack of ribs.
McDonald's first executive chef and inventor of the Chicken McNugget, Rene Arend, told Maxim in 2009, that the sandwich was brought to the menu due to a chicken shortage brought on by the extreme popularity of the chicken nugget that was introduced in 1979.
McDonald's originally introduced the McRib in 1982 and it has been on and off the fast food giant's menu since then.
After being discontinued in 1985, it resurfaced 1994 as a seasonal menu item until 2005, when it was supposed to be retired for good. McDonald's even hold a farewell tour for the sandwich in 2005, as well as in 2006 and 2007, according to Fox News.
The McRib then became available only at various regional locations. According to Yahoo Finance, individual restaurants can order McRib ingredients at any time and offer the sandwich at their digression.
This sparked enthusiasts to establish tracking websites where people can report locations where the sandwich is available. The McRib Locator website in particular reported its first McRib sighting on Oct. 3, 2008 in Winner, S.D., Fox News notes.
The McRib has developed a cult like following that depends on its scarcity, according to Yahoo Finance. In 2010, McDonald's even began a "save the McRib" petition, encouraging fans to sign in support of having the McRib stay on menus for longer periods of time.
More recently, the McRib has been reintroduced overseas. It was available in Canada for short periods during summer and fall 2011, and was also Australia and New Zealand as the Atlanta Pork McRib during the 2012 London Olympics.
The sandwich sold out in New Zealand within days.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'