Sandy Hook School Massacre: All 31 Pro-Gun Senators Refused to Appear on Meet the Press
By Gareth Platt | December 19, 2012 3:26 AM EST
Every one of the 31 pro-gun senators in the US was invited to discuss their views on NBC's Meet the Press two days after the Sandy Hook school massacre - and every one declined the invitation.
The blackout was revealed by Meet the Press host David Gregory. "We reached out to all 31 pro-gun rights senators [but] we had no takers," he said.
Broadcaster MSNBC presented a special edition on Sunday, dedicated to the Sandy Hook shooting. New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, a prominent advocate of gun control, appeared on the programme to reaffirm his stance.
First broadcast in 1947, Meet the Press is renowned as one of America's most prestigious current affairs programmes.
The National Rifle Association, the most powerful gun lobby in the States, cancelled a weekend concert and removed its Facebook page after the shooting. But the Gun Owners of America pressure group has spoke out through its executive director Larry Pratt.
Pratt claimed that the massacre could have been averted if teachers at Sandy Hook had been allowed to carry firearms. Gun control advocates "have the blood of little children on their hands," he said.
"The only thing accomplished by gun-free zones is to insure that mass murderers can slay more before they are finally confronted by someone with a gun," he said.
It has emerged that gunman Adam Lanza smashed both his computer and hard drive before embarking on his shooting spree at the school.
Police investigating Lanza's background say they may not be able to find out what the killer, a known computer enthusiast, had been doing on his desktop in the run-up to the massacre, and whether this activity played any role in his actions at Sandy Hook.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 14 Contestants For Miss Hitler 2014 Beauty Pageant Organised By Russian Equivalent Of Facebook
- ISIS Crucifies Teenage Boy For Filming Syrian Base; Image Of Baby Girl Being Beheaded Found [VIDEO]
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Planning Christmas With Her Family In Anmer Hall, Norfolk--Report
- How Australian Father Stabbed 11-Year-Old Son Dead, More Details Emerge
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks