Sandy Hook School Massacre: All 31 Pro-Gun Senators Refused to Appear on Meet the Press
By Gareth Platt | December 19, 2012 3:26 AM EST
Every one of the 31 pro-gun senators in the US was invited to discuss their views on NBC's Meet the Press two days after the Sandy Hook school massacre - and every one declined the invitation.
The blackout was revealed by Meet the Press host David Gregory. "We reached out to all 31 pro-gun rights senators [but] we had no takers," he said.
Broadcaster MSNBC presented a special edition on Sunday, dedicated to the Sandy Hook shooting. New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, a prominent advocate of gun control, appeared on the programme to reaffirm his stance.
First broadcast in 1947, Meet the Press is renowned as one of America's most prestigious current affairs programmes.
The National Rifle Association, the most powerful gun lobby in the States, cancelled a weekend concert and removed its Facebook page after the shooting. But the Gun Owners of America pressure group has spoke out through its executive director Larry Pratt.
Pratt claimed that the massacre could have been averted if teachers at Sandy Hook had been allowed to carry firearms. Gun control advocates "have the blood of little children on their hands," he said.
"The only thing accomplished by gun-free zones is to insure that mass murderers can slay more before they are finally confronted by someone with a gun," he said.
It has emerged that gunman Adam Lanza smashed both his computer and hard drive before embarking on his shooting spree at the school.
Police investigating Lanza's background say they may not be able to find out what the killer, a known computer enthusiast, had been doing on his desktop in the run-up to the massacre, and whether this activity played any role in his actions at Sandy Hook.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown