Mayan Calendar 2012: Chinese Man Reinvents Noah’s Ark Designed to Withstand Doomsday (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | December 19, 2012 3:02 AM EST
One of the most well-loved Bible stories is Noah's ark, which has apparently inspired Liu Qiyuan, a Chinese inventor, to come up with a 21st century version of the ark designed to withstand a doomsday predicted on Dec 21, 2012 by the Mayan calendar.
He called the vessel an apocalypse survival pod because of its waterproof features and design that will make it float and even withstand an earthquake or tsunami, Mr Liu claimed. The pod can hold 30 people up to two months. It is made of fiberglass casing and steel frame weighing 4,000 kilogrammes.
It has seat belts, oxygen tanks, power generators, batteries and food supplies.
So far, Mr Liu, a furniture maker who lives in Hebei province which is just outside of Beijing, has built seven such pods which cost him $300,000. However, there are still no buyers for the seven pods.
The original idea to build the modern-day Noah's Ark was not over fear of an end-of-the-world scenario as predicted by the Mayan Long Count Calendar, but to address the fear of Mr Liu's daughter of natural disasters.
He pointed out that while the 2012 doomsday may not happen at all, there would still be natural disasters in the future when people could benefit from owning a pod.
While Mr Liu's pod could definitely not accommodate a pair of each animal like Noah's original ark
a real replica of the original ark was opened to the public last week in Dordrecht, the Netherlands and got permission to receive up to 3,000 visitors daily.
Called Johan's Ark, named after its maker Johan Huibere, the replica is only half the length of the one made by Noah which measures 150 cubits or 70 metres. The Ark van Johan measures 30 cubits high and 20 cubits wide.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop