Twitter Reaches 200 Million User Milestone
By Alistair Charlton | December 19, 2012 3:00 AM EST
The 200 million milestone has been reached in just under six-and-a-half years and comes nine months after the website announced that it had 140 million monthly users, which goes to show Twitter's growth is accelerating, although it remains someway behind Facebook's one billion active monthly users.
Twitter had 100 million monthly active users in September 2011 and half of those used the service every single day.
The announcements rounds off a hugely important year for Twitter, which saw it play a major role in world events, from the summer Olympics in London and President Obama's re-election, to be used more than ever by journalists in Egypt and Syria, reporting from the front line.
In June, Twitter CEO Dick Costolo said that the social network's users post more than 400 million tweets per day.
On 17 December, Twitter announced a partnership with Nielsen to create the Nielsen Twitter TV Rating, an industry-standard metric that is based entirely on data from tweets.
The new metric is intended to measure the engagement of TV shows by monitoring tweets about what's on television and to act as a companion to the Nielsen TV rating.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft