Pleb Rant: Did Andrew Mitchell's Deputy John Randall Stab Him in the Back?
By Gareth Platt | December 19, 2012 1:36 AM EST
Andrew Mitchell's second-in-command was the man who passed on the police report which led to his resignation as chief whip, it has been revealed.
Deputy chief whip John Randall, MP for Uxbridge, passed on the report after being contacted by the officer who was confronted by Mitchell outside Downing Street in September.
The officer, who was allegedly called a "pleb" by Mitchell, is one of Randall's constituents.
Randall is known to have had differences with Mitchell in the past, and it is understood he issued private threats to resign when details of his boss's confrontation with police became public.
The controversy surrounding the confrontation refuses to abate, and it is now thought that Channel 4 will show CCTV footage of the incident, which began when officers blocked Mitchell's attempts to take his bike through the Downing Street gates.
Although Mitchell maintains he didn't call the officers "plebs," police commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe maintains "there's nothing I have seen ... that causes me to doubt that original account" of the officers on duty.
Speaking to LBC Radio, Hogan-Howe also said that, when the full truth of Mitchell's altercation emerges, it will "surprise" the public.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install