Brent Responds to Fiscal Cliff Negotiations
By Laura Brodbeck | December 19, 2012 12:29 AM EST
Brent crude oil traded at $108.29 on Monday morning as the U.S. fiscal cliff negotiations moved one step closer to a compromise.
The commodity was bolstered by the latest news of progress between Democrats and Republicans in Washington. President Barack Obama responded to a proposal by Republican Speaker of the House John Boehner on Monday, giving the public hope that the two parties would soon reach an agreement.
What began as a standoff has eased into moderate negotiations as the two discussed a higher tax rate for wealthy Americans. Originally, Boehner refused to raise taxes for any high income families, while Obama wanted a tax hike for any income over $250,000. Boehner conceded to raising taxes for those earning over $1 million dollars per year, which Obama countered with a tax hike for those making more than $400,000.
While far from over, the negotiations seem to be heading toward an agreement, something Brent prices are responding positively to.
Since an agreement between the two parties would mean avoiding the fiscal cliff, a package of tax increases and spending cuts expected to tip the country into recession, news about negotiations help to tick Brent prices upward. Should the two reach an agreement before the January 1st deadline, oil prices are expected to rebound on expectations of continued demand in the future.
According to CNBC, Brent could reach $109.02 per barrel as the U.S. fiscal cliff negotiations become less uncertain. Chinese data has also lent support to prices, suggesting that the world's number two economy is recovering. The country's imports have been growing in response to an increased output from its refineries.
(c) 2012 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 24, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 24, 2014
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Global Markets Overview – July 24, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning July 24, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon