Brent Responds to Fiscal Cliff Negotiations
By Laura Brodbeck | December 19, 2012 12:29 AM EST
Brent crude oil traded at $108.29 on Monday morning as the U.S. fiscal cliff negotiations moved one step closer to a compromise.
The commodity was bolstered by the latest news of progress between Democrats and Republicans in Washington. President Barack Obama responded to a proposal by Republican Speaker of the House John Boehner on Monday, giving the public hope that the two parties would soon reach an agreement.
What began as a standoff has eased into moderate negotiations as the two discussed a higher tax rate for wealthy Americans. Originally, Boehner refused to raise taxes for any high income families, while Obama wanted a tax hike for any income over $250,000. Boehner conceded to raising taxes for those earning over $1 million dollars per year, which Obama countered with a tax hike for those making more than $400,000.
While far from over, the negotiations seem to be heading toward an agreement, something Brent prices are responding positively to.
Since an agreement between the two parties would mean avoiding the fiscal cliff, a package of tax increases and spending cuts expected to tip the country into recession, news about negotiations help to tick Brent prices upward. Should the two reach an agreement before the January 1st deadline, oil prices are expected to rebound on expectations of continued demand in the future.
According to CNBC, Brent could reach $109.02 per barrel as the U.S. fiscal cliff negotiations become less uncertain. Chinese data has also lent support to prices, suggesting that the world's number two economy is recovering. The country's imports have been growing in response to an increased output from its refineries.
(c) 2012 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install