Brent Responds to Fiscal Cliff Negotiations
By Laura Brodbeck | December 19, 2012 12:29 AM EST
Brent crude oil traded at $108.29 on Monday morning as the U.S. fiscal cliff negotiations moved one step closer to a compromise.
The commodity was bolstered by the latest news of progress between Democrats and Republicans in Washington. President Barack Obama responded to a proposal by Republican Speaker of the House John Boehner on Monday, giving the public hope that the two parties would soon reach an agreement.
What began as a standoff has eased into moderate negotiations as the two discussed a higher tax rate for wealthy Americans. Originally, Boehner refused to raise taxes for any high income families, while Obama wanted a tax hike for any income over $250,000. Boehner conceded to raising taxes for those earning over $1 million dollars per year, which Obama countered with a tax hike for those making more than $400,000.
While far from over, the negotiations seem to be heading toward an agreement, something Brent prices are responding positively to.
Since an agreement between the two parties would mean avoiding the fiscal cliff, a package of tax increases and spending cuts expected to tip the country into recession, news about negotiations help to tick Brent prices upward. Should the two reach an agreement before the January 1st deadline, oil prices are expected to rebound on expectations of continued demand in the future.
According to CNBC, Brent could reach $109.02 per barrel as the U.S. fiscal cliff negotiations become less uncertain. Chinese data has also lent support to prices, suggesting that the world's number two economy is recovering. The country's imports have been growing in response to an increased output from its refineries.
(c) 2012 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015