Nielsen to buy radio ratings company Arbitron for $1.26 billion
December 19, 2012 12:35 AM EST
Nielsen Holdings NV, known for its television viewership ratings, agreed to buy Arbitron Inc, the top provider of radio station audience ratings in the United States, for $1.26 billion in cash.
The $48 per share offer represents a 26 percent premium to Arbitron's Monday close on the New York Stock Exchange. Shares of the company were trading just below the offer price before the bell on Tuesday.
"Arbitron will help Nielsen better solve unmeasured areas of media consumption, including streaming audio and out-of-home," Nielsen Chief Executive David Calhoun said in a statement.
"The high level of engagement with radio and TV among rapidly growing multicultural audiences makes this central to Nielsen's priorities."
Arbitron reported revenue of $445 million for the 12 months ended September 30.
The acquisition will add about 13 cents per share to Nielsen's adjusted profit a year after the deal is completed, the company said.
Nielsen, which provides a large range of marketing and consumer information services apart from TV ratings, has a financing commitment for the total purchase price.
The transaction has been approved by the boards of both companies.
(Reporting by Sayantani Ghosh in Bangalore; Editing by Roshni Menon)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- MH17: Shrapnel Hits Plane, Russia Calls for UN-led Investigation