South American Striker Target Will Get Best Out Of Torres
By Vanessa Keller | December 18, 2012 10:32 PM EST
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink has claimed that if Chelsea purchase Radamel Falcao in the January transfer window, it could be positive for Fernando Torres, with the striker able to offer competition to the Spaniard as he continues to display inconsistent form.
Torres has looked back to his best at times in recent weeks, scoring against the likes of Nordsjaelland, Sunderland and Moterrey, but in big matches the star seems to go missing when the Blues need him the most.
Chelsea have persevered with the striker, who broke the English transfer record, for nearly two years now, and though he failed to flourish with competition from Didier Drogba, Hasselbaink says he may do better if Falcao were pushing him for the starting spot.
"When you've signed a striker for £50million you want him to score every game but that is not being realistic or fair," the Dutchman told Talksport. "If you look at all the top teams in this country they have got three or four top strikers breathing down each other's necks. It's only healthy to have that.
"You have to have competition. You have to have someone who wants to take your place as it gets the best out of you.
"Chelsea should have another top striker like Falcao to compete with Torres."
Falcao has long been connected with a move to Chelsea, with Roberto Di Matteo believed to be a big fan of the Atletico Madrid star.
His season in La Liga so far has been rivalled only by Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo for successes in front of goal, and with Torres continuing to disappoint, it seems the only option for Chelsea is to build on their striking options if the side want to challenge for the title.
The Blues are currently third on the table, but since Di Matteo was sacked, the side have struggled to maintain the form at the start of the season that made the Manchester clubs particularly wary of the west London side.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Liverpool FC: Brendan Rodgers Accedes That His Days As Reds Boss Could Be Numbered
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James