Amazon Patents ‘Airbag’ Technology to Avoid Smartphone Breakage
By Rohit KVN | December 18, 2012 8:46 PM EST
Smartphone users cursed with butter fingers now have good reason to cheer. Two inventors have come up with a solution to prevent smartphone damage during an accidental fall.
Amazon Inc. founder Jeffrey Preston Bezos and the company's vice-president Gregory M Hart were recently granted patent license to their smartphone 'Airbag' invention in the US Patent and Trademark Office this week.
The patent read: "Prior to impact between a surface and a device, a determination of a risk of damage to the device is made. If the risk of damage to the device exceeds a threshold, a protection system is activated to reduce or eliminate damage to the device." reported Daily Mail.
The patented invention works on the smartphone's built-in gyroscope, accelerometers and sensors to determine if the device is airborne. It also shoots out airbags to avoid the smartphone from cracking after a fall.
Many technology experts find placing an airbag system into a smartphone a difficult task. The airbag takes up more space and adds more weight to the device.
Peter Bee, a technician at Fix My iPhone in London, said, "No matter what weird or wonderful way we come up with to protect our phones, there will always be someone out there who ends up breaking it," reported a UK daily.
According to reports, Amazon will patent the airbag system for smartphones, tablet, e-readers, computers, cameras, and video game controllers.
As with any invention, the airbag is subject to criticism but will benefit many users. Until the patent becomes a reality, consumers will need to use the ubiquitous protective case or screen guard for their smartphones.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy