iPhone 5 Sales in China Hit 2 Million Units in Just 3 Days
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 18, 2012 8:26 PM EST
"Customer response to iPhone 5 in China has been incredible, setting a new record with the best first weekend sales ever in China," Tim Cook, Apple's CEO, said. "China is a very important market for us and customers there cannot wait to get their hands on Apple products."
China is Apple's second-largest market.
Apple Inc's new smartphone iPhone 5, which first went on sale on September 21 in nine countries, including the U.S. and Australia, selling more than five million in the first three days alone, will be available in more than 100 countries by end-December.
The thinnest and lightest iPhone ever, iPhone 5 features a new 4-inch Retina display, an Apple-designed A6 chip as well as ultrafast wireless technology. It boasts of a better battery life. iPhone 5 comes packed with iOS 6, an advanced mobile operating system with over 200 new features, including Shared Photo Streams, all-new Maps app, Passbook organisation and even more Siri features and languages, including Mandarin.
Meanwhile, reports have circulated that China's very own HTC Butterfly will not be coming to European shores.
Retailer Expansys Europe, which initially listed the item as available for pre-order, had reportedly taken down the listing for the item.
"Thank you for your recent interest and preorder of the HTC Butterfly. Unfortunately, we have now been informed by HTC that this device will not be available in European markets, and as such we have had to remove it from our website and cancel your preorder," the retailer told disappointed consumers.
Loaded with a 5-inch full-HD screen, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, Sense UI 4+, a quad-core 1.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, 2GB of RAM, 8MP rear camera, 2.1MP front-facing camera, and 16GB of internal memory, the Butterfly is essentially the same as the Japanese J Butterfly and American Droid DNA.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- U.S. Flights to Israel Now Lifted, Flights To and From Tel Aviv Resume – FAA
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand Raises Interest Rates Due to 'Unsustainable' Kiwi
- Embattled Malaysia Airlines Could Run Out of Cash 2015; Diverts Plane Over Another War Zone After MH17 Crash
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown