Online Christmas Shopping Sends Australia Post A-frenzy
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 18, 2012 7:39 PM EST
Although majority of Australian online shopping retailers think they have yet to breach the mark of their online sales projections, the number of individuals who have resorted to online shopping have reached gigantic proportions forcing Australia Post to hire additional hand just to ensure every package and parcel gets delivered to its owner or shopper before Christmas Day.
According to Australia Post on Tuesday, it has hired an additional 2,000 staff just to service the needs of this festive season alone as it expects to deliver three million more parcels this December, a jump of 11 per cent more compared from a year ago.
Melanie Ward, Australia Post spokeswoman, said more than 600 people from head office likewise offered to help if only to ensure Christmas gifts were processed on time.
"More Australians than ever are now shopping online for their Christmas gifts and we've noticed significant increases in our parcel volumes with 70 per cent of our parcels generated from an online transaction," Ms Ward said.
Richard Umbers, executive general manager of parcel and express services at Australia Post, said 70 per cent of parcels serviced by Australia Post are ordered over the internet.
According to the National Australia Bank's online retail sales index for October 2012, Australia's online retail sales grew to $12.3 billion over the past year. It is growing at a yearly rate of about 26 per cent.
Australia Post advised it will continue to deliver package and parcels on weekends leading up to Christmas.
It has also opened a city superstore equipped with 24-hour lockers where shoppers can collect or deposit their presents.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- NSW Braces for Severe Weather Condition
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools