Samsung Wins Order against Permanent Sales Ban in US [VIDEO]
By Geetha Pillai | December 18, 2012 4:45 PM EST
Samsung has won an order against the sale of 26 products of the company in the US sought by Apple following a jury verdict in August that found infringement of six of its patents.
Apple failed to establish that infringed patents drive consumer demand for Samsung products, a US district court ruled, posing a major setback to the iPhone maker.
"Samsung may have cut into Apple's customer base somewhat, but there is no suggestion that Samsung will wipe out Apple's customer base, or force Apple out of the business of making smartphones," said US District Court Judge Lucy H Koh, Bloomberg reported.
"The present case involves lost sales -- not a lost ability to be a viable market participant."
Though Apple sought a ban on 26 Samsung products, Samsung maintained that only three, the Galaxy S II by T-Mobile, the Galaxy S II Epic and the Galaxy S II Skyrocket, are being sold in the US market.
In early October, a preliminary ban on the sale of Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in America was lifted as the jury found no infringement on the hardware design patent as cited by Apple.
Recently, Apple was ordered to disclose the details of its licensing agreement with HTC as part of the mobile phone makers' settlement of global patent lawsuits.
Further appeals are expected in the latest ruling.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- Australia To Lose Hundreds Of Billions Worth Of Infrastructure Due To Rising Sea Levels
- Air France Pilots’ Strike: Only 40% of Scheduled Wednesday Flights Will Operate
- UK Starts Ebola Vaccine Trials on Humans
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet