Samsung Wins Order against Permanent Sales Ban in US [VIDEO]
By Geetha Pillai | December 18, 2012 4:45 PM EST
Samsung has won an order against the sale of 26 products of the company in the US sought by Apple following a jury verdict in August that found infringement of six of its patents.
Apple failed to establish that infringed patents drive consumer demand for Samsung products, a US district court ruled, posing a major setback to the iPhone maker.
"Samsung may have cut into Apple's customer base somewhat, but there is no suggestion that Samsung will wipe out Apple's customer base, or force Apple out of the business of making smartphones," said US District Court Judge Lucy H Koh, Bloomberg reported.
"The present case involves lost sales -- not a lost ability to be a viable market participant."
Though Apple sought a ban on 26 Samsung products, Samsung maintained that only three, the Galaxy S II by T-Mobile, the Galaxy S II Epic and the Galaxy S II Skyrocket, are being sold in the US market.
In early October, a preliminary ban on the sale of Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in America was lifted as the jury found no infringement on the hardware design patent as cited by Apple.
Recently, Apple was ordered to disclose the details of its licensing agreement with HTC as part of the mobile phone makers' settlement of global patent lawsuits.
Further appeals are expected in the latest ruling.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- 5 Uncanny Jobs That Actually Pay Very Well
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Advisory: Britons Told to Leave Libya ASAP, UK Issues Travel Ban
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6