Samsung Wins Order against Permanent Sales Ban in US [VIDEO]
By Geetha Pillai | December 18, 2012 4:45 PM EST
Samsung has won an order against the sale of 26 products of the company in the US sought by Apple following a jury verdict in August that found infringement of six of its patents.
Apple failed to establish that infringed patents drive consumer demand for Samsung products, a US district court ruled, posing a major setback to the iPhone maker.
"Samsung may have cut into Apple's customer base somewhat, but there is no suggestion that Samsung will wipe out Apple's customer base, or force Apple out of the business of making smartphones," said US District Court Judge Lucy H Koh, Bloomberg reported.
"The present case involves lost sales -- not a lost ability to be a viable market participant."
Though Apple sought a ban on 26 Samsung products, Samsung maintained that only three, the Galaxy S II by T-Mobile, the Galaxy S II Epic and the Galaxy S II Skyrocket, are being sold in the US market.
In early October, a preliminary ban on the sale of Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in America was lifted as the jury found no infringement on the hardware design patent as cited by Apple.
Recently, Apple was ordered to disclose the details of its licensing agreement with HTC as part of the mobile phone makers' settlement of global patent lawsuits.
Further appeals are expected in the latest ruling.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying