Samsung Wins Order against Permanent Sales Ban in US [VIDEO]
By Geetha Pillai | December 18, 2012 4:45 PM EST
Samsung has won an order against the sale of 26 products of the company in the US sought by Apple following a jury verdict in August that found infringement of six of its patents.
Apple failed to establish that infringed patents drive consumer demand for Samsung products, a US district court ruled, posing a major setback to the iPhone maker.
"Samsung may have cut into Apple's customer base somewhat, but there is no suggestion that Samsung will wipe out Apple's customer base, or force Apple out of the business of making smartphones," said US District Court Judge Lucy H Koh, Bloomberg reported.
"The present case involves lost sales -- not a lost ability to be a viable market participant."
Though Apple sought a ban on 26 Samsung products, Samsung maintained that only three, the Galaxy S II by T-Mobile, the Galaxy S II Epic and the Galaxy S II Skyrocket, are being sold in the US market.
In early October, a preliminary ban on the sale of Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in America was lifted as the jury found no infringement on the hardware design patent as cited by Apple.
Recently, Apple was ordered to disclose the details of its licensing agreement with HTC as part of the mobile phone makers' settlement of global patent lawsuits.
Further appeals are expected in the latest ruling.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Air Canada Expands Vancouver Boeing 787 Dreamliners To Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo-Narita Routes
- Canada Consumer Alert: Tim Hortons Prices Of Coffee, Sandwiches To Go Up Effective Nov 26
- Doomsday Seed Vault Safeguards More Marijuana Seeds
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- Travel Alert: Malaysia’s AirAsia Cuts Number Of Australian Flights
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports