Samsung Wins Order against Permanent Sales Ban in US [VIDEO]
By Geetha Pillai | December 18, 2012 4:45 PM EST
Samsung has won an order against the sale of 26 products of the company in the US sought by Apple following a jury verdict in August that found infringement of six of its patents.
Apple failed to establish that infringed patents drive consumer demand for Samsung products, a US district court ruled, posing a major setback to the iPhone maker.
"Samsung may have cut into Apple's customer base somewhat, but there is no suggestion that Samsung will wipe out Apple's customer base, or force Apple out of the business of making smartphones," said US District Court Judge Lucy H Koh, Bloomberg reported.
"The present case involves lost sales -- not a lost ability to be a viable market participant."
Though Apple sought a ban on 26 Samsung products, Samsung maintained that only three, the Galaxy S II by T-Mobile, the Galaxy S II Epic and the Galaxy S II Skyrocket, are being sold in the US market.
In early October, a preliminary ban on the sale of Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in America was lifted as the jury found no infringement on the hardware design patent as cited by Apple.
Recently, Apple was ordered to disclose the details of its licensing agreement with HTC as part of the mobile phone makers' settlement of global patent lawsuits.
Further appeals are expected in the latest ruling.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’