2012 Mayan Calendar Doomsday Countdown: Mayan Descendants Face Approaching Change of Times with Calm
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 18, 2012 3:14 PM EST
In various parts of the world, people are getting anxious over the supposed end of the world on Friday, December 21, 2012. But to the very descendants of the Mayan culture who supposedly predicted the world's annihilation, they will face the end of the calendar and change of times with calm and serenity.
Ironically, if the Mayans were asked about the impending Armageddon, they would give you a direct reply that even they don't have an idea as to when and how the world will end.
"We don't know if the world is going to end," 62-year-old Liborio Yeh Kinil told NBC News. The old man lives at the town of Uh-May in Quintana Roo state in the heartland of Mexico's Yucatan peninsula.
"Remember 2006, and the '6-6-6' (June 6, 2006)? A lot of people thought something was going to happen, and nothing happened after all."
But if there's something the Mayans welcome to all the hullabaloo is that tourism has spiked in the Yucatan peninsula.
"It's a psychic epidemic," cigar salesman Miguel Coral, 56, of Merida, a colonial town and capital of Yucatan state, told Reuters News. "It's all about business, but that's fine. It helps our country. I think it's excellent we've exported this idea."
"If people who believe in this joke want to come, let them," Jose May, a Mayan descendant who is also a tourism official of Merida, said. "Nobody here believes that. Those people were sold an idea."
Mexico's Ministry of Tourism has in fact lined up a number of activities to herald the end of a cycle in the Mayan Calendar.
Among these activities include the opening of two Mayan culture-themed museums by the end of the year, as well as the creation of the first University for Mayans in Yucutan State, where the Mayan ancient cities of Tulum and Coba can be found.
"The date of December 21, 2012 is not the end of the world. It is just the end of a cycle in the Mayan Calender and as it ends, a new cycle will start," Saul Martin Ancona Salazr, Head of Tourism Department of Yucutan State, was quoted by china.org.cn.
On Friday, December 21, 2012, a major cycle in the 5,125-year-old Mayan Long Count calendar, known as the 13th Baktun, ends.
The Mayans consider December 21 a significant day, that is why they have planned a lot of celebrations and rituals and ceremonies around it.
"Why get panicky? If something is going to happen, it's going to happen," Yeh Kinil said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Air Canada Expands Vancouver Boeing 787 Dreamliners To Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo-Narita Routes
- Canada Consumer Alert: Tim Hortons Prices Of Coffee, Sandwiches To Go Up Effective Nov 26
- Doomsday Seed Vault Safeguards More Marijuana Seeds
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports