Is Matt Damon Gay? Actor Speaks Out About Rumors
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 18, 2012 2:56 PM EST
Matt Damon, an avowed straight man, has spoken out about rumors that he and his actor pal Ben Affleck have had a gay relationship.
The star of the "Bourne" movies was the focus of speculation early in his career that he and Affleck had a romantic relationship, but they seem to have died down in recent years.
“I never denied those rumors because I was offended and didn’t want to offend my friends who were gay,” the actor told Playboy, “as if being gay were some kind of f--king disease. It put me in a weird position in that sense.”
Damon said in the interview, which was also reported on by the New York Daily News, he is glad to see that coming out of the closet is something that doesn't subject celebrities to nasty shaming as it did decades ago when stars like singer Liberace - whose lover Scott Thorson will be played by Damon in the upcoming film "Behind the Candelabra" - said they were gay.
“(T)he fact that Anderson Cooper and Ellen DeGeneres can come out so beautifully and powerfully, and it’s a big f---ing deal that it turns out nobody gives a s---,” Damon said, adding later, “if Liberace were alive today, everybody would love his music and nobody would care what he did in his private life. Like with Elton John.”
But unfortunately, Damon notes, Liberace's time was not one in which it was considered acceptable by many for stars to be openly gay.
"These two men were deeply in love and in a real relationship—a marriage—long before there was gay marriage. That’s not an insignificant thing," he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools