Is Matt Damon Gay? Actor Speaks Out About Rumors
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 18, 2012 2:56 PM EST
Matt Damon, an avowed straight man, has spoken out about rumors that he and his actor pal Ben Affleck have had a gay relationship.
The star of the "Bourne" movies was the focus of speculation early in his career that he and Affleck had a romantic relationship, but they seem to have died down in recent years.
“I never denied those rumors because I was offended and didn’t want to offend my friends who were gay,” the actor told Playboy, “as if being gay were some kind of f--king disease. It put me in a weird position in that sense.”
Damon said in the interview, which was also reported on by the New York Daily News, he is glad to see that coming out of the closet is something that doesn't subject celebrities to nasty shaming as it did decades ago when stars like singer Liberace - whose lover Scott Thorson will be played by Damon in the upcoming film "Behind the Candelabra" - said they were gay.
“(T)he fact that Anderson Cooper and Ellen DeGeneres can come out so beautifully and powerfully, and it’s a big f---ing deal that it turns out nobody gives a s---,” Damon said, adding later, “if Liberace were alive today, everybody would love his music and nobody would care what he did in his private life. Like with Elton John.”
But unfortunately, Damon notes, Liberace's time was not one in which it was considered acceptable by many for stars to be openly gay.
"These two men were deeply in love and in a real relationship—a marriage—long before there was gay marriage. That’s not an insignificant thing," he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate