Mayan Prophecy 2012: Solar Flare, Planetary Alignment Scenarios
By Vittorio Hernandez | December 18, 2012 2:44 PM EST
In three days, the world will know if the Mayan Calendar prophecy is just a prediction gone wrong or there is an actual truth about an Armageddon tied to the end of their calendar cycle.
NASA is sure that there will be no end-of-the-world on Dec 21 and the Mayan Calendar calculation is wrong. The majority believe that the date only marks as a new cycle of time, and they believe Mayan does not actually qualify as an apocalypse.
There are two scenarios on the effect of an end of the world event on technology.
The Solar Flare and CMEs
This phenomenon that could happen would be a sudden brightening of the sun observed over its surface or the solar limb. The flare would eject clouds of electrons, ions and atoms through the corona of the sun into the space.
On August 9, 2011, a massive x6.9 class solar flare was captured on video by scientists. The effects of the solar flares are very dangerous to spacecraft, astronauts and cosmonauts because of radiation hazards.
Corona Mass Injections or CMEs are massive burst of solar wind and magnetic fields rising above the solar corona or being released into space. Massive solar flares plus CMEs can trigger geomagnetic storms that will knock out electric power for extended periods of time.
Recently, the Murchison Widefield Array radio telescope in Australia detected flares on the sun's surface that could potentially damage communication satellites, electricity power grids and GPS navigation system.
Scientists around the world are calculating how big would be the next Solar Flare with CME and when will it actually hit the earth. So far, they are divided on the fact of when it would happen and it is being linked with the Mayan Calendar which has scared different groups.
If a massive solar flare with CME with that magnitude hits earth, space satellite would go off, stock markets will shut down causing chaos and panic in the business world, telecommunications will disconnect everyone, and power grids will stop supplying electricity worldwide. The result is devastating and chaotic, bringing back mankind temporarily to dark ages until the problem is solved. However, the big if is if the Solar Flare will reach Earth.
This is one of the anticipated phenomenon expected to happen as well which will lead to possible collision of celestial bodies in space. In astronomy, syzygy is a straight line configuration of three celestial bodies in a gravitational system. The Sun, Earth, and either the Moon or a planet are referred to this phenomena. Solar and lunar eclipses are common to occur at times of syzygy.
One loosely event connected to this was on March 21, 1894 at around 23:00 GMT when Mercury transited Sun as seen from Venus, and Mercury and Venus both simultaneously transited the Sun as seen from Saturn.
Such gravitational effects are still being studied especially if the Earth would be involved. Moonquakes, which are similar to earthquakes, put gravitational stress on the Moon during Sun-Earth-Moon syzygy.
End-of-the-world syzygy is the alignment of all planets in the solar system when the systems will pull each other by gravity possibly leading to tides, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, change of pole and axis, and collision between celestial bodies.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Artificial Micro-Humans to Replace Animals in Lab Tests: 90 Million Animal Lives Would be Saved
- Images Of Solar Flare Captured By NASA [Watch Video]
- Volatile Volcanoes Are Waking Up
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones