Sandy Hook Elementary School Is Closed 'Indefinitely;' Connecticut School Shooting Survivors Will Attend Chalk Hill
By Maria Vultaggio | December 18, 2012 2:37 PM EST
Pupils may never return to Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn., where 20 children were killed along with six teachers and administrators.
If officials do decide to reopen the school at all it could be months, State Police Lt. Paul Vance said, according to CBS.
“We are holding both crime scenes, the school and a secondary crime scene [Nancy Lanza's home] , indefinitely,” Vance said at a news conference Monday in Newtown. “I don’t know how long that will be – I am suspecting months.”
Instead the teachers and pupils will be moving to former school building that is 15 minutes away, according to various news reports.
Work crews went to the former Chalk Hill Middle School in Monroe on Sunday morning, so it would be ready for the children to resume classes, Monroe Police Lt. Brian McCauley reportedly said to USA Today.
The pupils will begin classes in a “matter of days” Monroe fire marshal William Davin said Monday to CBS News.
He said the children could return to school as early as Tuesday, but officials have yet to set a specific date.
When Chalk Hill reopens there will be police stationed at the school. The media will not be allowed to interview any of the children and only a single camera crew will be allowed to shoot video, McCauley said.
"We don't want to disrupt the students any more than they have been," he said, according to USA Today.
While it seems like “a matter of days” might seem too soon to send pupils back to class, Monroe Superintendent James Agostine said it’s essential they return to a familiar environment.
He said in a statement: "It is important that the Sandy Hook students get back to school quickly in an environment that is familiar and safe."
Before the shooting, 450 pupils attended Sandy Hook, USA Today said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?