Sony Acro S, Other Xperia Smartphones to Receive JellyBean Update Android v4.2 on Q1 2013
By Erik Pineda | December 18, 2012 2:07 PM EST
Good news for Sony smartphone owners. The Japanese firm confirmed in a blog post dated Dec 17 that specific Xperia phone models will soon chew in the JellyBean update in the form of a phased deployment that will start on February 2013.
First to get the 4.1 patch are the Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V, which based on the blog post Sony intends to dress up with the JellyBean between the months of February and March.
This move is part of Sony's progressive update plans for its Xperia smartphone lines currently powered by Android 4.0, more popularly known as Ice Cream Sandwich.
Before the end of Q1 2013, this JellyBean update will reach the following handsets: Xperia P, Xperia J and Xperia Go. Come April of the same year, Xperia S, Xperia SL, Xperia Ion and Xperia Acro S will get the same Android flavouring.
However, some bits of bad news as a number of Xperia devices will have to skip out on the upgrade, Sony said, which experts said is a decision largely motivated by outdated hardware specs that could possibly encounter issues with JellyBean.
"The decision has been taken not to upgrade Xperia U, Xperia Miro, Xperia Tipo, and Xperia Sola beyond Android 4.0," the Sony blog said, indicating that these entry-level smartphones will have to make do with ICS.
The company noted that actual "availability and rollout timing will vary by market and customer variants ... but we look forward to bringing you more information on this in the New Year."
It is expected that the unique smartphone experience on Xperia will be further enhanced once the JellyBean environment has fully replaced the ICS in most of the new Sony mobile phones, the blog post said.
"We're particularly excited about the Sony Xperia Jelly Bean features and functionality," Sony said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]