Sony Acro S, Other Xperia Smartphones to Receive JellyBean Update Android v4.2 on Q1 2013
By Erik Pineda | December 18, 2012 2:07 PM EST
Good news for Sony smartphone owners. The Japanese firm confirmed in a blog post dated Dec 17 that specific Xperia phone models will soon chew in the JellyBean update in the form of a phased deployment that will start on February 2013.
First to get the 4.1 patch are the Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V, which based on the blog post Sony intends to dress up with the JellyBean between the months of February and March.
This move is part of Sony's progressive update plans for its Xperia smartphone lines currently powered by Android 4.0, more popularly known as Ice Cream Sandwich.
Before the end of Q1 2013, this JellyBean update will reach the following handsets: Xperia P, Xperia J and Xperia Go. Come April of the same year, Xperia S, Xperia SL, Xperia Ion and Xperia Acro S will get the same Android flavouring.
However, some bits of bad news as a number of Xperia devices will have to skip out on the upgrade, Sony said, which experts said is a decision largely motivated by outdated hardware specs that could possibly encounter issues with JellyBean.
"The decision has been taken not to upgrade Xperia U, Xperia Miro, Xperia Tipo, and Xperia Sola beyond Android 4.0," the Sony blog said, indicating that these entry-level smartphones will have to make do with ICS.
The company noted that actual "availability and rollout timing will vary by market and customer variants ... but we look forward to bringing you more information on this in the New Year."
It is expected that the unique smartphone experience on Xperia will be further enhanced once the JellyBean environment has fully replaced the ICS in most of the new Sony mobile phones, the blog post said.
"We're particularly excited about the Sony Xperia Jelly Bean features and functionality," Sony said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pizza Hut Australia Sorry for Victoria Branch’s ‘Free Small Animal’ Campaign
- Masayoshi Son Is Japan’s Richest Man As Softbank Shares Surge Ahead Of Alibaba IPO; More Millionaires Among Alibaba Employees On The Way
- Ex-Male Strippers For Rent At $125/Hour To Act As ManServants
- Alibaba Hikes IPO Price Range To $66-$68 From $60-$66
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet