'The Hobbit’ Movie Breaks Record of ‘Lord Of The Rings,’ Rakes in $84.8M in First Weekend Sales
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 18, 2012 1:28 PM EST
The movie "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" has beaten the first weekend sales receipts of the previous "Lord Of The Rings" trilogy films, with sales recorded at a whopping $84.8 million in North America alone.
Produced by Time Warner's Warner Bros. Pictures, the Middle Earth adaptation exceeded the first weekend sales run of "I Am Legend" by Will Smith, which opened with $77.2 million in 2007. It likewise outdid the movie "Avatar" December opening at $77 million.
Despite weak reviews, "The Hobbit," was nevertheless a hit with audiences, which gave the film an "A'' CinemaScore.
"What's really important, what makes this special is the CinemaScore," Dan Fellman, president of domestic distribution for Warner Bros, said. "All these things point to a great word of mouth. We haven't even made it to the Christmas holidays yet. Kids are still in school this week."
Directed by Peter Jackson, "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," is the first part of a 3-D trilogy based on J.R.R. Tolkien's latest novel. It took $200 million to produce.
Among Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, it was the final installment, "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King," which raked in the highest first weekend sales, at $72.6 million, when it opened in 2003.
"The Hobbit, or There and Back Again," but better known by its abbreviated title "The Hobbit," was written by English author J.R.R. Tolkien to come off as a children's book fantasy novel. It was published on 21 September 1937 to wide critical acclaim.
Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Hollywood.com. Where available, latest international numbers are also included. Final domestic figures will be released Monday.
1. "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," $84.8 million ($138.2 million international).
2. "Rise of the Guardians," $7.4 million ($20.1 million international).
3. "Lincoln," $7.2 million.
4. "Skyfall," $7 million ($12.2 million international).
5. "Life of Pi," $5.4 million ($11.5 million international).
6. "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 2," $5.2 million ($13 million international).
7. "Wreck-It Ralph," $3.3million ($4.7 million international).
8. "Playing for Keeps," $3.2 million ($1.4 million international).
9. "Red Dawn," $2.4 million.
10. "Silver Linings Playbook," $2 million ($370,000 international).
Estimated weekend ticket sales at international theaters (excluding the U.S. and Canada) for films distributed overseas by Hollywood studios, according to Rentrak:
1. "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," $138.2 million.
2. "Rise of the Guardians," $20. 1 million.
3. "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 2," $13 million.
4. "Skyfall," $12.2 million.
5. "Life of Pi," $11.5 million.
6. "Wreck-It Ralph," $4.7 million.
7. "26 Years," $3.5 million.
8. "Whatcha Wearin'? (My P.S. Partner)," $3 million.
9. "Tutto Tutto Niente Niente," $2.4 million.
10. "Pitch Perfect," $2.3 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’