Mayan Calendar 2012: 5 Possible Ways How the World Will End on December 21?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | December 18, 2012 1:26 PM EST
Many are wondering if the Mayan Calendar 2012 is true and if the world will meet its end on Friday, December 21.
This topic has been hotly debated in the field of science discovering and presenting conflicting evidences that support or negate the notion of apocalypse this year.
The Mayan Calendar ends on December 21, 2012 and is claimed to be the start of a world apocalyptic event. While most people look at it as another prophecy that will not happen, some people believed that the prediction is true.
Mayans have always been ahead of their time and made viable contributions in the fields of astronomy and mathematics. Their calendar had a 5,126-year cycle, so many wonder why the ancient civilization, known for their advanced grasp on astronomy, chose this date. The Mayan calendar is divided into bak'tuns, 144,000-day cycles. According to NBC News, the last cycle on the calendar is fast approaching.
Other people believe that instead of destruction, humanity will enter a new era both physically and mentally. Skeptics believe nothing will happen at all and refer to the craze as an Internet hoax.
Mayan experts, National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and the United States government also debunked the apocalyptic prediction.
During a recent symposium in Yucatan, Mexico, three Mayan culture experts readily debunked rumors of an impending apocalypse.
The conference, called "Mayan Cosmic Gathering," included archeologist Tomas Gallareta, astronomer Arcadio Poveda Ricalde and professor Marte Trejo, who delivered speeches clarifying misconceptions about the Mayan calendar.
According to a statement released for the event, the three Mayan experts concurred that the Mayan calendar does not predict the end of the Earth.
However, there is always a possibility that the Earth will meet its doom since not all things can be predicted by science.
Below are some of the possible ways on how the world will end on December 21 as predicted on the infamous Mayan Calendar.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation