Mayan Calendar 2012: 5 Possible Ways How the World Will End on December 21?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | December 18, 2012 1:26 PM EST
Many are wondering if the Mayan Calendar 2012 is true and if the world will meet its end on Friday, December 21.
This topic has been hotly debated in the field of science discovering and presenting conflicting evidences that support or negate the notion of apocalypse this year.
The Mayan Calendar ends on December 21, 2012 and is claimed to be the start of a world apocalyptic event. While most people look at it as another prophecy that will not happen, some people believed that the prediction is true.
Mayans have always been ahead of their time and made viable contributions in the fields of astronomy and mathematics. Their calendar had a 5,126-year cycle, so many wonder why the ancient civilization, known for their advanced grasp on astronomy, chose this date. The Mayan calendar is divided into bak'tuns, 144,000-day cycles. According to NBC News, the last cycle on the calendar is fast approaching.
Other people believe that instead of destruction, humanity will enter a new era both physically and mentally. Skeptics believe nothing will happen at all and refer to the craze as an Internet hoax.
Mayan experts, National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and the United States government also debunked the apocalyptic prediction.
During a recent symposium in Yucatan, Mexico, three Mayan culture experts readily debunked rumors of an impending apocalypse.
The conference, called "Mayan Cosmic Gathering," included archeologist Tomas Gallareta, astronomer Arcadio Poveda Ricalde and professor Marte Trejo, who delivered speeches clarifying misconceptions about the Mayan calendar.
According to a statement released for the event, the three Mayan experts concurred that the Mayan calendar does not predict the end of the Earth.
However, there is always a possibility that the Earth will meet its doom since not all things can be predicted by science.
Below are some of the possible ways on how the world will end on December 21 as predicted on the infamous Mayan Calendar.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Racist Note Stereotyping Asian Drivers Left on Parked Car in NSW Sparks Online Outrage
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- New Zealand Election Countdown: Final Campaign Week Marred With More Controversial 'Revelations'
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III