Mayan Calendar 2012: 5 Possible Ways How the World Will End on December 21?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | December 18, 2012 1:26 PM EST
Many are wondering if the Mayan Calendar 2012 is true and if the world will meet its end on Friday, December 21.
This topic has been hotly debated in the field of science discovering and presenting conflicting evidences that support or negate the notion of apocalypse this year.
The Mayan Calendar ends on December 21, 2012 and is claimed to be the start of a world apocalyptic event. While most people look at it as another prophecy that will not happen, some people believed that the prediction is true.
Mayans have always been ahead of their time and made viable contributions in the fields of astronomy and mathematics. Their calendar had a 5,126-year cycle, so many wonder why the ancient civilization, known for their advanced grasp on astronomy, chose this date. The Mayan calendar is divided into bak'tuns, 144,000-day cycles. According to NBC News, the last cycle on the calendar is fast approaching.
Other people believe that instead of destruction, humanity will enter a new era both physically and mentally. Skeptics believe nothing will happen at all and refer to the craze as an Internet hoax.
Mayan experts, National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and the United States government also debunked the apocalyptic prediction.
During a recent symposium in Yucatan, Mexico, three Mayan culture experts readily debunked rumors of an impending apocalypse.
The conference, called "Mayan Cosmic Gathering," included archeologist Tomas Gallareta, astronomer Arcadio Poveda Ricalde and professor Marte Trejo, who delivered speeches clarifying misconceptions about the Mayan calendar.
According to a statement released for the event, the three Mayan experts concurred that the Mayan calendar does not predict the end of the Earth.
However, there is always a possibility that the Earth will meet its doom since not all things can be predicted by science.
Below are some of the possible ways on how the world will end on December 21 as predicted on the infamous Mayan Calendar.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Australia's Direct Action Policy To Increase Projected Emmisions By 2020 -- UN Report
- Canadian Soldier Dies in 'Freak Accident' at Work
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports