Chelsea Transfer News: Fellaini, Coentrao, Paulinho And Pjanic Involved In Latest Speculation
By Jason Le Miere | December 18, 2012 9:57 AM EST
After Chelsea lost the FIFA Club World Cup final to Corinthians on Sunday, the Blues could also face disappointment in their reported pursuit of the Brazilian outfit’s midfielder Paulinho. With Oriol Romeu out for six months with injury and Frank Lampard set to depart at the end of the season, it is believed that a central midfielder is high on Chelsea’s list of priorities in the January transfer window.
And the Blues were thought to be taking a close look at Paulinho in Japan having reportedly tracked him for several months. However, Brazilian publication Esporte carries quotes from both the 24-year-old and Corinthians that claim he will be staying at the club for the foreseeable future.
Paulinho, a Brazil international, has also been linked with Inter Milan.
There may be better news for Chelsea should they pursue their much mooted interest in Everton’s Marouane Fellaini. The midfield powerhouse was involved in three separate altercations with Stoke’s Ryan Shawcross during a 1-1 draw on Saturday and has subsequently been handed a three match ban.
Everton boss David Moyes heavily criticized Fellaini after the match and, according to the Guardian, the chances have now increased that the Belgium international will be allowed to leave the club in the New Year.
While lately Fellaini has said that he is committed to Everton, earlier in the season he was reported to have said in an interview in Belgium that he would like to move onto a bigger club either in January or at the end of the season.
An offer of £30 million may be needed to pry the 25-year-old away from Goodison Park.
The Daily Mail reports that Lampard will be allowed to leave the club in January in a move that would intensify Chelsea’s search for a midfielder. High on the Blues’ list of targets to replace the veteran England international is Roma’s gifted Bosnian Miralem Pjanic, according to the Mail.
The 22-year-old arrived in the Italian capital from Lyon in the summer of 2011 and is now said to be valued at £14 million.
As well as Lampard, Chelsea’s policy of only offering players over the age of 30 one year deals is expected to bring about the exit of Ashley Cole. The 31-year-old has been widely linked with big-spending French outfit Paris Saint-Germain, who are managed by former Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti.
According to the Daily Star, Chelsea are already make provisions should Cole depart and are keen on Real Madrid’s Fabio Coentrao. The Portugal international only arrived at the Bernabeu in the summer of 2011 for a reported fee of £27 million. Yet, surprisingly, the Daily Star reports that Chelsea could secure the 24-year-old for just £12 million.
The story claims that Madrid are looking to sell players to fund their spending next summer. With Marcelo also at Madird, Coentrao is said to be one of the individuals that the club is looking to move on.
“If an interesting offer comes in, we will consider it,” the Daily Star reports a Madrid source as saying.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports