Chelsea Transfer News: Fellaini, Coentrao, Paulinho And Pjanic Involved In Latest Speculation
By Jason Le Miere | December 18, 2012 9:57 AM EST
After Chelsea lost the FIFA Club World Cup final to Corinthians on Sunday, the Blues could also face disappointment in their reported pursuit of the Brazilian outfit’s midfielder Paulinho. With Oriol Romeu out for six months with injury and Frank Lampard set to depart at the end of the season, it is believed that a central midfielder is high on Chelsea’s list of priorities in the January transfer window.
And the Blues were thought to be taking a close look at Paulinho in Japan having reportedly tracked him for several months. However, Brazilian publication Esporte carries quotes from both the 24-year-old and Corinthians that claim he will be staying at the club for the foreseeable future.
Paulinho, a Brazil international, has also been linked with Inter Milan.
There may be better news for Chelsea should they pursue their much mooted interest in Everton’s Marouane Fellaini. The midfield powerhouse was involved in three separate altercations with Stoke’s Ryan Shawcross during a 1-1 draw on Saturday and has subsequently been handed a three match ban.
Everton boss David Moyes heavily criticized Fellaini after the match and, according to the Guardian, the chances have now increased that the Belgium international will be allowed to leave the club in the New Year.
While lately Fellaini has said that he is committed to Everton, earlier in the season he was reported to have said in an interview in Belgium that he would like to move onto a bigger club either in January or at the end of the season.
An offer of £30 million may be needed to pry the 25-year-old away from Goodison Park.
The Daily Mail reports that Lampard will be allowed to leave the club in January in a move that would intensify Chelsea’s search for a midfielder. High on the Blues’ list of targets to replace the veteran England international is Roma’s gifted Bosnian Miralem Pjanic, according to the Mail.
The 22-year-old arrived in the Italian capital from Lyon in the summer of 2011 and is now said to be valued at £14 million.
As well as Lampard, Chelsea’s policy of only offering players over the age of 30 one year deals is expected to bring about the exit of Ashley Cole. The 31-year-old has been widely linked with big-spending French outfit Paris Saint-Germain, who are managed by former Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti.
According to the Daily Star, Chelsea are already make provisions should Cole depart and are keen on Real Madrid’s Fabio Coentrao. The Portugal international only arrived at the Bernabeu in the summer of 2011 for a reported fee of £27 million. Yet, surprisingly, the Daily Star reports that Chelsea could secure the 24-year-old for just £12 million.
The story claims that Madrid are looking to sell players to fund their spending next summer. With Marcelo also at Madird, Coentrao is said to be one of the individuals that the club is looking to move on.
“If an interesting offer comes in, we will consider it,” the Daily Star reports a Madrid source as saying.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown