Haley To Announce Tim Scott As Jim DeMint's Senate Successor
December 18, 2012 4:39 AM EST
South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley is expected to officially announce Rep. Tim Scott as the replacement for outgoing Republican Sen. Jim DeMint later today.
Haley’s office didn’t respond to a voicemail before this article’s publication. However, Republican officials did tell The New York Times that Haley has chosen Scott as DeMint’s successor in Washington.
Appointing Scott will be historic as he would be the first black senator from the south since the 19th century.
DeMint recently announced his departure to become president of the Heritage Foundation in January.
That Haley chose the 47-year-old to occupy the seat isn’t really a surprise, as many suspected it. Scott has a close relationship with both Haley and DeMint, according to reports.
Haley also reportedly began telling finalists on Monday morning that she decided to run with Scott, according to the Times. That report stated also that Haley “seriously considered a number of potential contenders, particularly Jenny Sanford, the ex-wife of former Gov. Mark Sanford, who had been supportive of Haley in her race two years ago.”
Scott was elected in 2010 to represent South Carolina’s First Congressional District. His website describes him as "a tireless advocate for smaller government, lower taxes and restoring fiscal responsibility in Washington."
USA Today reported that a single mother raised Scott and his siblings and that Scott was on the verge of flunking out of high school when he got help. Before being elected to Congress, Scott spent 13 years on the Charleston County Council, including four terms as chairman. He owned Tim Scott Allstate, an insurance agency, and was a partner of Pathway Real Estate Group, according to his website.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Spying Claims Muddle New Zealand Election as Dotcom Calls Key Gov't An 'American Slave'
- Germany to Send Soldiers to Iraq, Bans Displays of Support for ISIS
- Strike vs ISIS Countdown: Arab Nations Signify Intent to Join U.S. Fight
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date