2012 Mayan Calendar Countdown: Apocalypse Fear Leads Chinese Man to Stab 22 School Children (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | December 18, 2012 3:22 AM EST
A day before the gruesome shooting of 27 people in Sandy Hook Elementary School happened in Connecticut, a similar incident happened in Guangshan county, Henan province in China, although the assailant used a knife in stabbing 22 school children.
The attacker, identified by reports as Min Yongjun, was allegedly unstable over fears of the world coming to an end, as mistakenly interpreted by some groups of the Mayan New Year on Dec 21.
Similar to the Connecticut massacre, Mr Min, 36, first entered an older woman's house on Friday morning, stabbed an 84-yer-old female and then proceeded to the Chengpeng PrimaryVillage School where he used the stolen knife to slash 22 middle-school students
Adam Lanza, the killer in the Connecticut attack, first shot his mother Nancy and then went to the Sandy Hook Elementary School where he shot indiscriminately at the students of his mother. Some pupils were spared because a teacher hid them in a bathroom and closets.
In the China incident, which fortunately did not result in deaths, the students barricaded themselves in classrooms and hid during the attack.
The incident, which shocked China, prompted the police to warn Chinese to be wary of end-of-the-world predictions and scams, even as many residents continue to hoard candles and basic commodities over fears of 12-21-12.
"The approach of Friday of so-called doomsday, based on the ancient Mayan calendar, has caused some unrest and panic buying," reported Xinhua, the state news agency.
The spread of the doomsday rumour was partly attributed to the posting of a spoof video by Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard who confirmed that the Mayan prediction would come true. Her spoof video was posted over Weibo, China's equivalent of Twitter.
The Guangshan country government said on Monday that Mr Min will be subjected to testing to determine his psychological condition. He fled after the stabbing, but was caught and could face the death penalty.
Because of the growing widespread fear over an apocalypse, China has detained 93 people, mostly cult members, for spreading the doomsday fear. Thirty-seven of those arrested belong to the Almighty God cult. Among the warnings made by the arrested doomsdayers were the sun won't shine and there would be no electricity for three days beginning Friday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Jealous, Duchess Reportedly Only Good At Making Babies
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone