2012 Mayan Calendar Countdown: Apocalypse Fear Leads Chinese Man to Stab 22 School Children (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | December 18, 2012 3:22 AM EST
A day before the gruesome shooting of 27 people in Sandy Hook Elementary School happened in Connecticut, a similar incident happened in Guangshan county, Henan province in China, although the assailant used a knife in stabbing 22 school children.
The attacker, identified by reports as Min Yongjun, was allegedly unstable over fears of the world coming to an end, as mistakenly interpreted by some groups of the Mayan New Year on Dec 21.
Similar to the Connecticut massacre, Mr Min, 36, first entered an older woman's house on Friday morning, stabbed an 84-yer-old female and then proceeded to the Chengpeng PrimaryVillage School where he used the stolen knife to slash 22 middle-school students
Adam Lanza, the killer in the Connecticut attack, first shot his mother Nancy and then went to the Sandy Hook Elementary School where he shot indiscriminately at the students of his mother. Some pupils were spared because a teacher hid them in a bathroom and closets.
In the China incident, which fortunately did not result in deaths, the students barricaded themselves in classrooms and hid during the attack.
The incident, which shocked China, prompted the police to warn Chinese to be wary of end-of-the-world predictions and scams, even as many residents continue to hoard candles and basic commodities over fears of 12-21-12.
"The approach of Friday of so-called doomsday, based on the ancient Mayan calendar, has caused some unrest and panic buying," reported Xinhua, the state news agency.
The spread of the doomsday rumour was partly attributed to the posting of a spoof video by Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard who confirmed that the Mayan prediction would come true. Her spoof video was posted over Weibo, China's equivalent of Twitter.
The Guangshan country government said on Monday that Mr Min will be subjected to testing to determine his psychological condition. He fled after the stabbing, but was caught and could face the death penalty.
Because of the growing widespread fear over an apocalypse, China has detained 93 people, mostly cult members, for spreading the doomsday fear. Thirty-seven of those arrested belong to the Almighty God cult. Among the warnings made by the arrested doomsdayers were the sun won't shine and there would be no electricity for three days beginning Friday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- Woman Posts Ad for Herself As 'Professional Bridesmaid' On Craigslist
- Mass Panic Over Houston's 'Blinking Lights' in the Sky; UFO Sceptics Still Not Convinced
- American Journalist Steven Sotloff at Risk of Beheading Too If US Gov’t Refuses to Pay $100 Million Ransom to Islamic State Like It Did With James Foley
- Social Gap Between New Zealand Ethnic Groups 'Worsening'
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop