Sandy Hook School Massacre: Adam Lanza Suicide Note Exposed as Hoax
By Gareth Platt | December 18, 2012 2:28 AM EST
A 'suicide note' purportedly posted by Connecticut school gunman Adam Lanza on one of the world's most popular online messageboards has been exposed as a fake.
Two messages, apparently taken from social networking site 4Chan, surfaced on the internet in the aftermath of the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School which left 27 people dead.
The posts are dated last Wednesday, two days before the shooting, and were supposedly published by an anonymous member. In the first message, the poster writes that "I'm going to kill myself on Friday and it will make the news, be watching at 9am".
When asked by a fellow member where the suicide will take place, the poster responds: "I live in Connecticut, that's as much as I'll say."
The two messages are accompanied by an uncensored picture of the bodies of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, who committed suicide after killing 13 people at Columbine High School in 1999.
Several newspapers and websites published the supposed forum posts when they emerged. However, it is now clear that the messages are a hoax.
Although the timestamp on the posts gives the hours and minutes at which they were published, they do not give the seconds - as all genuine 4Chan messages do. Furthermore, the two posts carry serial numbers which were not actually reached by 4Chan until Friday, after the massacre had taken place.
The hoax is the latest in a string of controversies to have blighted 4Chan. The site, founded in 2003, has been linked with the creation of hacktivist group Anonymous, and a group of its members recently attempted to rig Time Magazine's 'Person of the Year' poll to ensure Kim Jong-un finished top.
4Chan has yet to comment on the hoax.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]