Sandy Hook School Massacre: Adam Lanza Suicide Note Exposed as Hoax
By Gareth Platt | December 18, 2012 2:28 AM EST
A 'suicide note' purportedly posted by Connecticut school gunman Adam Lanza on one of the world's most popular online messageboards has been exposed as a fake.
Two messages, apparently taken from social networking site 4Chan, surfaced on the internet in the aftermath of the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School which left 27 people dead.
The posts are dated last Wednesday, two days before the shooting, and were supposedly published by an anonymous member. In the first message, the poster writes that "I'm going to kill myself on Friday and it will make the news, be watching at 9am".
When asked by a fellow member where the suicide will take place, the poster responds: "I live in Connecticut, that's as much as I'll say."
The two messages are accompanied by an uncensored picture of the bodies of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, who committed suicide after killing 13 people at Columbine High School in 1999.
Several newspapers and websites published the supposed forum posts when they emerged. However, it is now clear that the messages are a hoax.
Although the timestamp on the posts gives the hours and minutes at which they were published, they do not give the seconds - as all genuine 4Chan messages do. Furthermore, the two posts carry serial numbers which were not actually reached by 4Chan until Friday, after the massacre had taken place.
The hoax is the latest in a string of controversies to have blighted 4Chan. The site, founded in 2003, has been linked with the creation of hacktivist group Anonymous, and a group of its members recently attempted to rig Time Magazine's 'Person of the Year' poll to ensure Kim Jong-un finished top.
4Chan has yet to comment on the hoax.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- Father Spots A Bald Patch On The Lawn Outside His Girls' Bedroom And Gets Shocked At The Reason
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight