Sandy Hook School Massacre: Adam Lanza Suicide Note Exposed as Hoax
By Gareth Platt | December 18, 2012 2:28 AM EST
A 'suicide note' purportedly posted by Connecticut school gunman Adam Lanza on one of the world's most popular online messageboards has been exposed as a fake.
Two messages, apparently taken from social networking site 4Chan, surfaced on the internet in the aftermath of the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School which left 27 people dead.
The posts are dated last Wednesday, two days before the shooting, and were supposedly published by an anonymous member. In the first message, the poster writes that "I'm going to kill myself on Friday and it will make the news, be watching at 9am".
When asked by a fellow member where the suicide will take place, the poster responds: "I live in Connecticut, that's as much as I'll say."
The two messages are accompanied by an uncensored picture of the bodies of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, who committed suicide after killing 13 people at Columbine High School in 1999.
Several newspapers and websites published the supposed forum posts when they emerged. However, it is now clear that the messages are a hoax.
Although the timestamp on the posts gives the hours and minutes at which they were published, they do not give the seconds - as all genuine 4Chan messages do. Furthermore, the two posts carry serial numbers which were not actually reached by 4Chan until Friday, after the massacre had taken place.
The hoax is the latest in a string of controversies to have blighted 4Chan. The site, founded in 2003, has been linked with the creation of hacktivist group Anonymous, and a group of its members recently attempted to rig Time Magazine's 'Person of the Year' poll to ensure Kim Jong-un finished top.
4Chan has yet to comment on the hoax.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Gunman Killed In Brisbane Shoot-out On Live TV
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate