Rival Manager Hails Manchester United's Lionel Messi
By Vishnuprasad S | December 17, 2012 11:16 PM EST
The Dutchman notched up yet another goal and assist as the Red Devils beat the Black Cats 3-1 at Old Trafford to maintain their six-point lead at the top of the Premier League table.
O'Neill told ESPN: "With players of the calibre of Van Persie in your side, you always have a chance of winning football matches. Would, for instance, Barcelona have the same effect if Lionel Messi didn't play?
"The number of goals Messi has scored is incredible. They are a very talented team but without him, you don't know, because Messi is their talisman. Honestly, Van Persie can get goals out of very little. It looks like nothing is happening and you have players there in the area. But all of a sudden he has opened up a gap."
The Northern Irishman also pointed out that United signing van Persie from Arsenal in the summer, after seeing off competition from derby rivals Manchester City, was a crucial step forward for Sir Alex Ferguson's team. The 60-year-old also predicted the Red Devils would end up clinching the league title, if the Dutchman stays fit until the end of the season.
"You always felt that United would give themselves a big edge by getting Van Persie. We are making judgments before Christmas here - but if Van Persie stays fit, that will make a massive difference to United's challenge. They have a great chance of winning the league.
"United have paid close on £30 million for a player who had just one year left on his contract, so that might tell you how valuable they perceive him to be. But it's not just the perception, the reality is that he has been fantastic so far," O'Neill added.
Van Persie, who won the Premier League's Golden Boot last season, remains at the top of the scoring charts this year, alongside Swansea City's Michu, with 12 goals from 17 matches.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales