Rodgers Positive on January Additions
By Vishnuprasad S | December 17, 2012 7:18 PM EST
Brendan Rodgers has confirmed Liverpool are keen to sign players in the January transfer window. The Reds were beaten 1-3, at Anfield, by Aston Villa over the weekend and the manager believes the loss highlights deficiencies in the squad.
"We looked at the first six months to assess: we know we need some support and hopefully we can get that in. We understand the process as well but the most important thing is to learn from it (the defeats). The thing we've learned from Saturday is that you can't ever be complacent," the Daily Mail quoted the Northern Irishman as saying.
Going into the Villa game, Liverpool were on a three-match winning streak. However, the home defeat to Paul Lambert's side, who are battling relegation, was a big blow to the Merseyside outfit. The defeat left them 12th in the Premier League, with 22 points from 17 matches.
"It is a strange thing football. We were talked up all week about us being top-four material but we know within the group we still have a long way to go. There is going to be steady progress and there are going to be steps forward, like in the last few weeks, and a step backward," Rodgers added.
Lambert Hails Defensive Trio
Meanwhile, Lambert has praised Villa's three young central defenders - Ciaran Clark, Nathan Baker and Chris Herd - following his side's win over Liverpool.
The Villans had triumphed just once in the last 16 away fixtures before the trip to Anfield. However, Belgian forward Christian Benteke's brace and an Andreas Weimann goal helped the Birmingham outfit earn three precious points to lift themselves from 17th to 14th.
"I know Christian and Andy will get the plaudits because they're the strikers, but we need to pay a special mention to three young lads at the back. I'm just delighted with the way the team is performing and delighted for the fans," talkSport quoted the former Norwich City boss.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia