Rodgers Positive on January Additions
By Vishnuprasad S | December 17, 2012 7:18 PM EST
Brendan Rodgers has confirmed Liverpool are keen to sign players in the January transfer window. The Reds were beaten 1-3, at Anfield, by Aston Villa over the weekend and the manager believes the loss highlights deficiencies in the squad.
"We looked at the first six months to assess: we know we need some support and hopefully we can get that in. We understand the process as well but the most important thing is to learn from it (the defeats). The thing we've learned from Saturday is that you can't ever be complacent," the Daily Mail quoted the Northern Irishman as saying.
Going into the Villa game, Liverpool were on a three-match winning streak. However, the home defeat to Paul Lambert's side, who are battling relegation, was a big blow to the Merseyside outfit. The defeat left them 12th in the Premier League, with 22 points from 17 matches.
"It is a strange thing football. We were talked up all week about us being top-four material but we know within the group we still have a long way to go. There is going to be steady progress and there are going to be steps forward, like in the last few weeks, and a step backward," Rodgers added.
Lambert Hails Defensive Trio
Meanwhile, Lambert has praised Villa's three young central defenders - Ciaran Clark, Nathan Baker and Chris Herd - following his side's win over Liverpool.
The Villans had triumphed just once in the last 16 away fixtures before the trip to Anfield. However, Belgian forward Christian Benteke's brace and an Andreas Weimann goal helped the Birmingham outfit earn three precious points to lift themselves from 17th to 14th.
"I know Christian and Andy will get the plaudits because they're the strikers, but we need to pay a special mention to three young lads at the back. I'm just delighted with the way the team is performing and delighted for the fans," talkSport quoted the former Norwich City boss.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate