Rodgers Positive on January Additions
By Vishnuprasad S | December 17, 2012 7:18 PM EST
Brendan Rodgers has confirmed Liverpool are keen to sign players in the January transfer window. The Reds were beaten 1-3, at Anfield, by Aston Villa over the weekend and the manager believes the loss highlights deficiencies in the squad.
"We looked at the first six months to assess: we know we need some support and hopefully we can get that in. We understand the process as well but the most important thing is to learn from it (the defeats). The thing we've learned from Saturday is that you can't ever be complacent," the Daily Mail quoted the Northern Irishman as saying.
Going into the Villa game, Liverpool were on a three-match winning streak. However, the home defeat to Paul Lambert's side, who are battling relegation, was a big blow to the Merseyside outfit. The defeat left them 12th in the Premier League, with 22 points from 17 matches.
"It is a strange thing football. We were talked up all week about us being top-four material but we know within the group we still have a long way to go. There is going to be steady progress and there are going to be steps forward, like in the last few weeks, and a step backward," Rodgers added.
Lambert Hails Defensive Trio
Meanwhile, Lambert has praised Villa's three young central defenders - Ciaran Clark, Nathan Baker and Chris Herd - following his side's win over Liverpool.
The Villans had triumphed just once in the last 16 away fixtures before the trip to Anfield. However, Belgian forward Christian Benteke's brace and an Andreas Weimann goal helped the Birmingham outfit earn three precious points to lift themselves from 17th to 14th.
"I know Christian and Andy will get the plaudits because they're the strikers, but we need to pay a special mention to three young lads at the back. I'm just delighted with the way the team is performing and delighted for the fans," talkSport quoted the former Norwich City boss.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices