Rodgers Positive on January Additions
By Vishnuprasad S | December 17, 2012 7:18 PM EST
Brendan Rodgers has confirmed Liverpool are keen to sign players in the January transfer window. The Reds were beaten 1-3, at Anfield, by Aston Villa over the weekend and the manager believes the loss highlights deficiencies in the squad.
"We looked at the first six months to assess: we know we need some support and hopefully we can get that in. We understand the process as well but the most important thing is to learn from it (the defeats). The thing we've learned from Saturday is that you can't ever be complacent," the Daily Mail quoted the Northern Irishman as saying.
Going into the Villa game, Liverpool were on a three-match winning streak. However, the home defeat to Paul Lambert's side, who are battling relegation, was a big blow to the Merseyside outfit. The defeat left them 12th in the Premier League, with 22 points from 17 matches.
"It is a strange thing football. We were talked up all week about us being top-four material but we know within the group we still have a long way to go. There is going to be steady progress and there are going to be steps forward, like in the last few weeks, and a step backward," Rodgers added.
Lambert Hails Defensive Trio
Meanwhile, Lambert has praised Villa's three young central defenders - Ciaran Clark, Nathan Baker and Chris Herd - following his side's win over Liverpool.
The Villans had triumphed just once in the last 16 away fixtures before the trip to Anfield. However, Belgian forward Christian Benteke's brace and an Andreas Weimann goal helped the Birmingham outfit earn three precious points to lift themselves from 17th to 14th.
"I know Christian and Andy will get the plaudits because they're the strikers, but we need to pay a special mention to three young lads at the back. I'm just delighted with the way the team is performing and delighted for the fans," talkSport quoted the former Norwich City boss.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related