Rodgers Positive on January Additions
By Vishnuprasad S | December 17, 2012 7:18 PM EST
Brendan Rodgers has confirmed Liverpool are keen to sign players in the January transfer window. The Reds were beaten 1-3, at Anfield, by Aston Villa over the weekend and the manager believes the loss highlights deficiencies in the squad.
"We looked at the first six months to assess: we know we need some support and hopefully we can get that in. We understand the process as well but the most important thing is to learn from it (the defeats). The thing we've learned from Saturday is that you can't ever be complacent," the Daily Mail quoted the Northern Irishman as saying.
Going into the Villa game, Liverpool were on a three-match winning streak. However, the home defeat to Paul Lambert's side, who are battling relegation, was a big blow to the Merseyside outfit. The defeat left them 12th in the Premier League, with 22 points from 17 matches.
"It is a strange thing football. We were talked up all week about us being top-four material but we know within the group we still have a long way to go. There is going to be steady progress and there are going to be steps forward, like in the last few weeks, and a step backward," Rodgers added.
Lambert Hails Defensive Trio
Meanwhile, Lambert has praised Villa's three young central defenders - Ciaran Clark, Nathan Baker and Chris Herd - following his side's win over Liverpool.
The Villans had triumphed just once in the last 16 away fixtures before the trip to Anfield. However, Belgian forward Christian Benteke's brace and an Andreas Weimann goal helped the Birmingham outfit earn three precious points to lift themselves from 17th to 14th.
"I know Christian and Andy will get the plaudits because they're the strikers, but we need to pay a special mention to three young lads at the back. I'm just delighted with the way the team is performing and delighted for the fans," talkSport quoted the former Norwich City boss.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga