Sydney Bus Commuters Soon to Have Access to Mobile Phone Bus Tracking App
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 17, 2012 6:24 PM EST
Bus commuters in Sydney may now have some luxury of time, so to speak, as the state government of New South Wales released on Monday new real time bus smartphone apps that would enable them to track just how far away their next bus is from the station.
''Having real-time information is a game-changer when it comes to public transport,'' Gladys Berejiklian, NSW Transport Minister, said.
NSW intends to release this week the three apps, called TripView, TripGo and Arrivo Sydney, once approval has been secured from the app stores. The three apps will provide real-time tracking of bus movements on more than 1,200 bus routes all across Sydney.
"The apps will make things easier for bus customers by helping them find the right bus stop nearby, where to buy a ticket and providing a prediction of when buses will arrive based on the bus location from GPS," Ms Berejiklian said.
"Some of the apps will alert customers to the next bus arriving at the most convenient stop, give an estimated walk time, guide them directly to the street location, provide real-time alerts, live maps, and comparisons of similar transport options by cost, convenience and emissions."
Apps Arrivo is available only on Android phones, while TripView and TripGo are available on iPhones and Android. TripView and Arrivo cost about $3 for a full version, but does have lite versions. TripGo on the other hand is free.
The apps are applicable on State Transit services in the Sydney CBD, the eastern suburbs, the inner west, southern suburbs, north western suburbs, the northern beaches and lower north shore. Plans to extend coverage to Sydney's private buses are being discussed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display