Sydney Bus Commuters Soon to Have Access to Mobile Phone Bus Tracking App
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 17, 2012 6:24 PM EST
Bus commuters in Sydney may now have some luxury of time, so to speak, as the state government of New South Wales released on Monday new real time bus smartphone apps that would enable them to track just how far away their next bus is from the station.
''Having real-time information is a game-changer when it comes to public transport,'' Gladys Berejiklian, NSW Transport Minister, said.
NSW intends to release this week the three apps, called TripView, TripGo and Arrivo Sydney, once approval has been secured from the app stores. The three apps will provide real-time tracking of bus movements on more than 1,200 bus routes all across Sydney.
"The apps will make things easier for bus customers by helping them find the right bus stop nearby, where to buy a ticket and providing a prediction of when buses will arrive based on the bus location from GPS," Ms Berejiklian said.
"Some of the apps will alert customers to the next bus arriving at the most convenient stop, give an estimated walk time, guide them directly to the street location, provide real-time alerts, live maps, and comparisons of similar transport options by cost, convenience and emissions."
Apps Arrivo is available only on Android phones, while TripView and TripGo are available on iPhones and Android. TripView and Arrivo cost about $3 for a full version, but does have lite versions. TripGo on the other hand is free.
The apps are applicable on State Transit services in the Sydney CBD, the eastern suburbs, the inner west, southern suburbs, north western suburbs, the northern beaches and lower north shore. Plans to extend coverage to Sydney's private buses are being discussed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Russia Invades Ukraine, Pro-Russian Rebels Create 'Second Front,' Obama Maintains No Military Action from US
- TEPCO Loses in Fukushima Suicide Case, Ordered to Pay $472,000 to Family
- Better Market Your Uranium Someplace Else, Japan Appetite No Longer Huge as Before – Former PM Tells Australia Queensland Premier Campbell Newman
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million