Sydney Bus Commuters Soon to Have Access to Mobile Phone Bus Tracking App
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 17, 2012 6:24 PM EST
Bus commuters in Sydney may now have some luxury of time, so to speak, as the state government of New South Wales released on Monday new real time bus smartphone apps that would enable them to track just how far away their next bus is from the station.
''Having real-time information is a game-changer when it comes to public transport,'' Gladys Berejiklian, NSW Transport Minister, said.
NSW intends to release this week the three apps, called TripView, TripGo and Arrivo Sydney, once approval has been secured from the app stores. The three apps will provide real-time tracking of bus movements on more than 1,200 bus routes all across Sydney.
"The apps will make things easier for bus customers by helping them find the right bus stop nearby, where to buy a ticket and providing a prediction of when buses will arrive based on the bus location from GPS," Ms Berejiklian said.
"Some of the apps will alert customers to the next bus arriving at the most convenient stop, give an estimated walk time, guide them directly to the street location, provide real-time alerts, live maps, and comparisons of similar transport options by cost, convenience and emissions."
Apps Arrivo is available only on Android phones, while TripView and TripGo are available on iPhones and Android. TripView and Arrivo cost about $3 for a full version, but does have lite versions. TripGo on the other hand is free.
The apps are applicable on State Transit services in the Sydney CBD, the eastern suburbs, the inner west, southern suburbs, north western suburbs, the northern beaches and lower north shore. Plans to extend coverage to Sydney's private buses are being discussed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- The Cost Of Getting Infected With Ebola
- Ebola Divides The US: More States Begin Applying Stricter Guidelines Than What CDC Imposed
- Canadian House Owners Preferring To Live In Core City Than In Suburbs: Study
- FIFA May Keep Russia and Ukraine Apart in World Cup 2018
- Children Are Below Poverty Line Even In World’s Affluent Countries – UNICEF
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles