Sydney Bus Commuters Soon to Have Access to Mobile Phone Bus Tracking App
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 17, 2012 6:24 PM EST
Bus commuters in Sydney may now have some luxury of time, so to speak, as the state government of New South Wales released on Monday new real time bus smartphone apps that would enable them to track just how far away their next bus is from the station.
''Having real-time information is a game-changer when it comes to public transport,'' Gladys Berejiklian, NSW Transport Minister, said.
NSW intends to release this week the three apps, called TripView, TripGo and Arrivo Sydney, once approval has been secured from the app stores. The three apps will provide real-time tracking of bus movements on more than 1,200 bus routes all across Sydney.
"The apps will make things easier for bus customers by helping them find the right bus stop nearby, where to buy a ticket and providing a prediction of when buses will arrive based on the bus location from GPS," Ms Berejiklian said.
"Some of the apps will alert customers to the next bus arriving at the most convenient stop, give an estimated walk time, guide them directly to the street location, provide real-time alerts, live maps, and comparisons of similar transport options by cost, convenience and emissions."
Apps Arrivo is available only on Android phones, while TripView and TripGo are available on iPhones and Android. TripView and Arrivo cost about $3 for a full version, but does have lite versions. TripGo on the other hand is free.
The apps are applicable on State Transit services in the Sydney CBD, the eastern suburbs, the inner west, southern suburbs, north western suburbs, the northern beaches and lower north shore. Plans to extend coverage to Sydney's private buses are being discussed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- Australia To Lose Hundreds Of Billions Worth Of Infrastructure Due To Rising Sea Levels
- UK Starts Ebola Vaccine Trials on Humans
- Health Virus Alert: Canadians Urged to Watch Out Against Rare Enterovirus D68; 3 Cases Confirmed in B.C., 18 in Alberta
- Economy Travel Not So Anymore with Air Canada, Starts Charging C$25 Checked Bag Fee
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet