Jet Airways Surges on Hopes of Etihad Stake Sale; Kingfisher Shares Down
December 17, 2012 5:52 PM EST
Shares of Jet Airways (JET.NS) jumped as much as 4.7 percent on Monday to their highest in nearly two years on hopes Abu Dhabi's Etihad Airways will buy a stake in the carrier.
Mint Newspaper reported on Monday that Etihad may decide as early as this week whether it will invest in Jet Airways or in grounded rival Kingfisher Airlines (KING.NS), citing two people familiar with the matter.
Mint also quoted one of the people as saying Jet Airways had the edge in terms of attracting Etihad's investment.
Jet and Kingfisher declined to comment. Etihad officials were not immediately available to comment.
Jet is already in talks with Etihad to sell a minority stake in the airline, a government official had told Reuters last month, while Kingfisher has said it was also talking with the Abu Dhabi-based carrier, among others.
Any Etihad deal would be the first since India in September allowed foreign airlines to invest up to 49 percent in a domestic carrier.
Jet Airways shares had gained 4 percent as of 0605 GMT to the highest level since January 2011 after surging 18 percent over the prior four sessions.
By contrast, Kingfisher shares fell 2 percent, snapping nine previous consecutive sessions of gains.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1