Afghanistan Landmine Explosion Kills 10 Children [VIDEO]
By Vasudevan Sridharan | December 17, 2012 5:50 PM EST
At least 10 children, all girls, have been killed in a powerful landmine explosion in Afghanistan's eastern province of Nangarhar.
The girls were collecting firewood in Daulatzai village, Chaparhar district, when one of the victims stepped on a live landmine.
According to reports, the girls were aged between nine and 13. Two other girls were also severely injured in the blast and have been admitted to a nearby hospital.
Security forces have rushed to the scene.
Several rural areas of Afghanistan are littered with landmines from 30 years of conflict.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation