Handguns Should Be Banned in Australia – Greens
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 17, 2012 5:44 PM EST
Acting Australian Greens leader Adam Bandt has urged on the federal government as well as the entire Australian populace to ponder on banning the issuance and release of semi-automatic handguns in the resource-rich nation following the Connecticut massacre of innocent school children as well as school teachers in the U.S.
"It's now time to ban semi-automatic handguns in Australia," Mr Bandt told reporters in Canberra on Monday, noting private citizens have no reason to own and carry such weapons.
"They are not recreational toys, they are killing machines."
Mr Bandt advised the federal government to hold immediate talks with state and territory leaders to ban the weapons, more so that hundreds of thousands of semi-automatic handguns are legally being circulated in Australia.
Based on 2009-10 data from the Australian Institute of Criminology, knives were found to be the most common homicide weapon in Australia at 39 per cent, versus firearms at 13 per cent.
"I think everyone wants Australia to be as safe as possible," he said.
On December 14, 20-year-old, but heavily armed Adam Lanza forced his way into the Sandy Hook Elementary, and shot dead 20 school children and six female school teachers before eventually taking his own life. Prior to the shooting rampage, he had killed his mother Nancy, also on Friday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June