Handguns Should Be Banned in Australia – Greens
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 17, 2012 5:44 PM EST
Acting Australian Greens leader Adam Bandt has urged on the federal government as well as the entire Australian populace to ponder on banning the issuance and release of semi-automatic handguns in the resource-rich nation following the Connecticut massacre of innocent school children as well as school teachers in the U.S.
"It's now time to ban semi-automatic handguns in Australia," Mr Bandt told reporters in Canberra on Monday, noting private citizens have no reason to own and carry such weapons.
"They are not recreational toys, they are killing machines."
Mr Bandt advised the federal government to hold immediate talks with state and territory leaders to ban the weapons, more so that hundreds of thousands of semi-automatic handguns are legally being circulated in Australia.
Based on 2009-10 data from the Australian Institute of Criminology, knives were found to be the most common homicide weapon in Australia at 39 per cent, versus firearms at 13 per cent.
"I think everyone wants Australia to be as safe as possible," he said.
On December 14, 20-year-old, but heavily armed Adam Lanza forced his way into the Sandy Hook Elementary, and shot dead 20 school children and six female school teachers before eventually taking his own life. Prior to the shooting rampage, he had killed his mother Nancy, also on Friday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display