Billabong Shares Rode New Highs with $526M Takeover Bid
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 17, 2012 5:04 PM EST
Shares of beleaguered Australian retailer Billabong International rode on a high early Monday morning before being placed on a trading halt on rumors of a $526.8 million takeover bid by a consortium led by former director Paul Naude.
Billabong shares rose to as much as seven per cent on Monday, fuelled by reports Mr Naude's group had submitted a $1.10 a share takeover offer. When the trading halt began at 1211 AEDT, the stock was already 4.5 cents, or 4.8 per cent, higher at 98 cents.
At 12.11pm, the stock, allowed to trade for more than an hour, was placed under trading halt, after Billabong told the Australian Stock Exchange it planned to make an announcement regarding "a possible change of control proposal."
Mr Naude, Billabong's president in the Americas and a member of the company's board, voluntarily stepped down from his position in mid November as he attempted to try and take control of the surf retailer.
"I can't confirm or deny anything," Craig White, Billabong's chief financial officer, told Bloomberg News before the trading halt announcement.
The trading halt will remain for two days, or until Billabong requests it be lifted.
Mr Naude owns 0.2 per cent of Billabong.
Billabong had received three takeover offers this year alone, from private equity firms TPG and Bain Capital. TPG lodged two offers, the first was denied because according to the surfwear retailer, it undervalued the company. The second offer was voluntarily withdrawn by TPG this time during the due diligence phase.
Bain Capital likewise withdrew during the due diligence process.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Kiwi Couple Sues Lawyers for Denial of Holiday Perk in Luxury Resort
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports