Apple iPhone 5 Sales in China Passes 2 Million Mark
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 17, 2012 4:50 PM EST
"Customer response to iPhone 5 in China has been incredible, setting a new record with the best first weekend sales ever in China," Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said in a statement as quoted by AppleInsider. "China is a very important market for us and customers there cannot wait to get their hands on Apple products."
The latest record sales report in China trampled down apprehensions about iPhone 5's success in the Chinese market. iPhone 5 sales was a matter of concern for Apple as the initial hype around the devices was low compared to previous iPhone 5 launches. Some analysts explained that the absence of long queues at Apple Stores was due to murky weather and traffic.
China is currently the world's largest mobile phone market, and the competition is intensifying with the entry of several home-based and global players. Apple has lost its major share in its second largest market in the last fiscal year, and earlier this month the company also witnessed its worst one-day share decline in four years. The record breaking debut of the iPhone 5 hints at a recoup of its lost shares in the Chinese market. According to Apple Insider, the success of iPhone 5 in China was known earlier itself as pre-orders through network carrier China Unicom went beyond 300,000 last Monday.
The Cupertino-based firm was awaiting approval to make its iPhone 5 available to China since its launch in September. The company launched the device in China on Dec 14 after recieving clearance.
"Apple is expected to be available to over 100 countries by the end of December, making it the fastest iPhone rollout, ever," Apple said in a statement.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown