Apple iPhone 5 Sales in China Passes 2 Million Mark
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 17, 2012 4:50 PM EST
"Customer response to iPhone 5 in China has been incredible, setting a new record with the best first weekend sales ever in China," Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said in a statement as quoted by AppleInsider. "China is a very important market for us and customers there cannot wait to get their hands on Apple products."
The latest record sales report in China trampled down apprehensions about iPhone 5's success in the Chinese market. iPhone 5 sales was a matter of concern for Apple as the initial hype around the devices was low compared to previous iPhone 5 launches. Some analysts explained that the absence of long queues at Apple Stores was due to murky weather and traffic.
China is currently the world's largest mobile phone market, and the competition is intensifying with the entry of several home-based and global players. Apple has lost its major share in its second largest market in the last fiscal year, and earlier this month the company also witnessed its worst one-day share decline in four years. The record breaking debut of the iPhone 5 hints at a recoup of its lost shares in the Chinese market. According to Apple Insider, the success of iPhone 5 in China was known earlier itself as pre-orders through network carrier China Unicom went beyond 300,000 last Monday.
The Cupertino-based firm was awaiting approval to make its iPhone 5 available to China since its launch in September. The company launched the device in China on Dec 14 after recieving clearance.
"Apple is expected to be available to over 100 countries by the end of December, making it the fastest iPhone rollout, ever," Apple said in a statement.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier