Apple iPhone 5 Sales in China Passes 2 Million Mark
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 17, 2012 4:50 PM EST
"Customer response to iPhone 5 in China has been incredible, setting a new record with the best first weekend sales ever in China," Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said in a statement as quoted by AppleInsider. "China is a very important market for us and customers there cannot wait to get their hands on Apple products."
The latest record sales report in China trampled down apprehensions about iPhone 5's success in the Chinese market. iPhone 5 sales was a matter of concern for Apple as the initial hype around the devices was low compared to previous iPhone 5 launches. Some analysts explained that the absence of long queues at Apple Stores was due to murky weather and traffic.
China is currently the world's largest mobile phone market, and the competition is intensifying with the entry of several home-based and global players. Apple has lost its major share in its second largest market in the last fiscal year, and earlier this month the company also witnessed its worst one-day share decline in four years. The record breaking debut of the iPhone 5 hints at a recoup of its lost shares in the Chinese market. According to Apple Insider, the success of iPhone 5 in China was known earlier itself as pre-orders through network carrier China Unicom went beyond 300,000 last Monday.
The Cupertino-based firm was awaiting approval to make its iPhone 5 available to China since its launch in September. The company launched the device in China on Dec 14 after recieving clearance.
"Apple is expected to be available to over 100 countries by the end of December, making it the fastest iPhone rollout, ever," Apple said in a statement.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 To Boost Telstra’s Income By $500 Million
- Smaller Australian Telcos Required To Have Usage Alert For Customers To Avoid Phone Bill Shock
- BlackBerry to Host ‘See The Bigger Picture’ Event in London, Dubai & Toronto on Sep 24
- Addiction Rehabilitation Leader BioCorRx, Inc. Participates In San Francisco’s eMoneyShow
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged