Is Mayan Apocalypse Pointing to a Zombie Virus Outbreak?
By Erik Pineda | December 17, 2012 4:03 PM EST
The world is headed for a dead-end on Dec 21 2012, according to firm believers of the Mayan Apocalypse prediction, bur for some in the United States, Earth will not be engulfed by destructive rains of fireball or inundated by gigantic tsunami flood.
Instead, this planet will be overwhelmed by a mysterious virus that will morph those infected into zombies and will drive mankind into the brink of extinction.
This scenario directly alludes to The Walking Dead, the hit TV series that showed a chaotic world reduced to a virtual standstill, in which survivors were forced to take last-ditch stand to fend off the army of zombies that swarmed and overrun the cities.
However, these horrific implications were not necessarily confined to comic books, according to the Discovery Channel documentary 'Zombie Apocalypse' that will air Dec 18 in the United States.
In a preview clip, which is viewable through this link: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/could-zombie-apocalypse-ever-happen-401910, a group of Americans were shown honing on their weapon skills to fight off the undead in the event of the virus outbreak.
"A zombie apocalypse happening is not a question of if, it's a question of when," one of the trainees was quoted by The Hollywood Reporter as saying.
Theoretically, these armed groups are not preparing for nothing, according to Dr Robert Smith of the University of Ottawa.
"A zombie pandemic ... is something that is plausible, it's something that at least in terms of spread, is very likely," Dr Smith said in the Discovery documentary preview.
He added that one person, for instance, in New York City succumbing to the zombie virus could potentially spread the plague in a very short time, likely spawning new dead walkers by the hundreds of thousands.
In just over a week, the more than eight million population of the Big Apple could end up with herds of zombies terrorising and mindlessly overrunning them, Dr Smith said.
Dr. Steven Scholzman of Harvard Medical School is fully supportive of the assertion. He explained that "the most likely ideology for a zombie pandemic would be a viral outbreak, a mutated contagion most likely a virus."
By natural design, "viruses are fascinating organisms and would be very effective at changing us into something approaching the zombies," Dr Scholzman said.
"They use our DNA, they rely on us to spread themselves, so it fits right into the model of zombie pandemic," he further pointed out.
The Hollywood movie '2012' depicted Earth's destructive moments in minute details and man's struggle to stay alive amidst the conflagration generated by massive earthquakes and the succeeding deluge.
Yet it could be that the closest threat to man's existence is his own self, which Discovery suggested is very much susceptible to a disease that one could one day wipe out humans from the face of this planet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Beheading US Journalist James Foley Sparks Outrage, Netizens Demand 'All-Out War'
- Princess Diana's Gravesite Algae-Infested, Earl Spencer Reportedly To Blame
- Immediate Deaths After Ice Bucket Challenge Are Hoaxes Gone Viral: Neck Injury And Hypothermia Killed Two People Performing The Stunt
- Human Barbie: Ukranian Teenager Lolita Richi Comes Out As A New Human Barbie, Possible Valeria Lukyanova Rival
- Kate Middleton Cried During Visit To London Tower With Prince William--- Reports
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features