Mayan Calendar 2012: People Shrug Off December 21 End of World Prediction
By Jenalyn Villamarin | December 17, 2012 3:55 PM EST
With the fast-approaching end of the Mayan Calendar on Friday, December 21, majority of the people are apparently not that bothered. Some started a joke about it while others are amused and simply shrug off the end of world prediction.
At Quincy's Washington Perk restaurant, most of the customers do not worry about the world coming to an end on Friday. According to owner Kim Pickle who asked the patrons on what they think about the prediction, some just shook their head while majority said they do not believe it.
In Delmonico's Steakhouse also at Quincy, employee Teresa Wilson shared that customers do not really talk about the Mayan Calendar end. "I'm much more likely to see people talking about it on Facebook, especially younger people," Wilson said.
Some people are even making wild guesses on what kind of destruction is bound to happen on the Mayan Calendar end. "I had an individual call, wanting to know what to do if the world came to an end. They were talking more about a nuclear attack," Adams County Emergency Management Agency Director John Simon shared.
Maya scholar Geoffrey Braswell, an Associate Professor of Anthropology at the University of California, attempted to clarify the prediction surrounding the controversial date. He affirmed there was no indication at all of what will exactly happen when the Mayan Calendar ends. "What we know for sure is there's no discussion of the end of the world on that date," Braswell stated.
Meanwhile, Professor Bob Bergen of Old Testament and biblical languages at Hannibal-LaGrange University shared that his students became interested with the end of world subject matter. They had classroom discussions focused on the Bible verses that state no one knows the exact date of the apocalypse.
"It comes up as a point of non-serious discussion. Living in the Show-Me state, there's a kind of natural bias not to believe these things. Even Jesus himself did not claim to know when the world would end," Bergen said.
Jeff Sutton, a student pastor at The Crossing in Quincy, also took advantage of the Mayan calendar end of world prediction to begin a three-week discussion. He has approximately 150 junior and senior high school students who participated in the discussion. "We kicked it off and debunked prediction after prediction. If you read the Bible, there's not any big fear about the Mayan prediction or others like it," Sutton said.
Even the U.S. government and NASA dismissed the Mayan Calendar end of the world prediction. According to the State House News Service, NASA stated: "Contrary to some of the common beliefs out there, the claims behind the end of the world quickly unravel when pinned down to the 2012 timeline. For any claims of disaster or dramatic changes in 2012, where is the science? Where is the evidence? There is none, and for all the fictional assertions, whether they are made in books, movies, documentaries or over the Internet, we cannot change that simple fact."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions