Mayan Calendar 2012: People Shrug Off December 21 End of World Prediction
By Jenalyn Villamarin | December 17, 2012 3:55 PM EST
With the fast-approaching end of the Mayan Calendar on Friday, December 21, majority of the people are apparently not that bothered. Some started a joke about it while others are amused and simply shrug off the end of world prediction.
At Quincy's Washington Perk restaurant, most of the customers do not worry about the world coming to an end on Friday. According to owner Kim Pickle who asked the patrons on what they think about the prediction, some just shook their head while majority said they do not believe it.
In Delmonico's Steakhouse also at Quincy, employee Teresa Wilson shared that customers do not really talk about the Mayan Calendar end. "I'm much more likely to see people talking about it on Facebook, especially younger people," Wilson said.
Some people are even making wild guesses on what kind of destruction is bound to happen on the Mayan Calendar end. "I had an individual call, wanting to know what to do if the world came to an end. They were talking more about a nuclear attack," Adams County Emergency Management Agency Director John Simon shared.
Maya scholar Geoffrey Braswell, an Associate Professor of Anthropology at the University of California, attempted to clarify the prediction surrounding the controversial date. He affirmed there was no indication at all of what will exactly happen when the Mayan Calendar ends. "What we know for sure is there's no discussion of the end of the world on that date," Braswell stated.
Meanwhile, Professor Bob Bergen of Old Testament and biblical languages at Hannibal-LaGrange University shared that his students became interested with the end of world subject matter. They had classroom discussions focused on the Bible verses that state no one knows the exact date of the apocalypse.
"It comes up as a point of non-serious discussion. Living in the Show-Me state, there's a kind of natural bias not to believe these things. Even Jesus himself did not claim to know when the world would end," Bergen said.
Jeff Sutton, a student pastor at The Crossing in Quincy, also took advantage of the Mayan calendar end of world prediction to begin a three-week discussion. He has approximately 150 junior and senior high school students who participated in the discussion. "We kicked it off and debunked prediction after prediction. If you read the Bible, there's not any big fear about the Mayan prediction or others like it," Sutton said.
Even the U.S. government and NASA dismissed the Mayan Calendar end of the world prediction. According to the State House News Service, NASA stated: "Contrary to some of the common beliefs out there, the claims behind the end of the world quickly unravel when pinned down to the 2012 timeline. For any claims of disaster or dramatic changes in 2012, where is the science? Where is the evidence? There is none, and for all the fictional assertions, whether they are made in books, movies, documentaries or over the Internet, we cannot change that simple fact."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Duchess Forced By The Queen To Be Out In The Public Again
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks