Nexus 4 Update: Two New Mods from XDA for Snappier Performance, Clearer Video Captures
By Erik Pineda | December 17, 2012 12:49 PM EST
More modification options for the Nexus 4 were recently unleashed by the generous people over at XDA Developers for maximum enjoyment of the Google-LG smartphone this holiday season.
For those lucky enough to get a unit of the handset, which Google labelled as sold out anew at the Google Play store, XDA developer tspderek released the LiquidSmooth Jelly Bean 4.2.1 ROM, which when flashed on the Nexus 4 is said to deliver snappier and more stable phone behaviour.
Another key benefit is extending the phone's tinkering options, which has become the favourite endeavour of many Android lovers.
Head out to this link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2046284, and this http://www.theandroidsoul.com/nexus-4-custom-rom-liquidsmooth/, if you are willing to test-drive this custom ROM, which of course requires a rooted Nexus 4.
Also, according to Phones Review, this checklist is a must prior to enjoying this new mod from tspderek: an unlocked bootloader and prior installation of ClockworkMod recovery.
And from XDA developer mohit1234, a new mod that jacks up the Nexus 4's video capture capabilities has been posted for free. Once this gets into the phone, its default bitrate will jump from 12mbps to 20mbps.
The result: camera-shot clips that are more defined and with enhanced noise reduction. Swim your way this link for the detailed guide of this new mod: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2039553.
As in the previous mod, your Nexus 4 must be rooted and has its bootloader to accommodate the reconfigure. Note too that the mod will need to access the system partition using a root file manager app.
One important reminder from Phandroid though. This tweak from mohit1234 will significantly increase the file size of your video files, which is problematic for the Nexus 4's not too large storage capacity.
Regardless and if you have been seeking to enjoy beet video shots, check out this XDA link for the step-by-step guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2039553.
And as in any other experiments, back up everything you treat as precious on your Nexus 4 to save some hassles for anything untoward to happen before allowing these two mods to reside on your handset.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop