Nexus 4 Update: Two New Mods from XDA for Snappier Performance, Clearer Video Captures
By Erik Pineda | December 17, 2012 12:49 PM EST
More modification options for the Nexus 4 were recently unleashed by the generous people over at XDA Developers for maximum enjoyment of the Google-LG smartphone this holiday season.
For those lucky enough to get a unit of the handset, which Google labelled as sold out anew at the Google Play store, XDA developer tspderek released the LiquidSmooth Jelly Bean 4.2.1 ROM, which when flashed on the Nexus 4 is said to deliver snappier and more stable phone behaviour.
Another key benefit is extending the phone's tinkering options, which has become the favourite endeavour of many Android lovers.
Head out to this link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2046284, and this http://www.theandroidsoul.com/nexus-4-custom-rom-liquidsmooth/, if you are willing to test-drive this custom ROM, which of course requires a rooted Nexus 4.
Also, according to Phones Review, this checklist is a must prior to enjoying this new mod from tspderek: an unlocked bootloader and prior installation of ClockworkMod recovery.
And from XDA developer mohit1234, a new mod that jacks up the Nexus 4's video capture capabilities has been posted for free. Once this gets into the phone, its default bitrate will jump from 12mbps to 20mbps.
The result: camera-shot clips that are more defined and with enhanced noise reduction. Swim your way this link for the detailed guide of this new mod: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2039553.
As in the previous mod, your Nexus 4 must be rooted and has its bootloader to accommodate the reconfigure. Note too that the mod will need to access the system partition using a root file manager app.
One important reminder from Phandroid though. This tweak from mohit1234 will significantly increase the file size of your video files, which is problematic for the Nexus 4's not too large storage capacity.
Regardless and if you have been seeking to enjoy beet video shots, check out this XDA link for the step-by-step guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2039553.
And as in any other experiments, back up everything you treat as precious on your Nexus 4 to save some hassles for anything untoward to happen before allowing these two mods to reside on your handset.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers