Guide to Install Super Stable 4.1.2 Jellybean Firmware on Galaxy S2
By Vittorio Hernandez | December 17, 2012 12:17 PM EST
The following is the guide for step by step instruction how to install and the prerequisites before doing so.
Pre Requisites before Flashing
ü All the data in the device must be backed up to avoid any possible corruption or data loss.
o SMS - better uses SMS backup and restore app
o Contacts - best to sync them to Gmail application
o Call Log - call log and restore
o Multimedia and other data - copy to external SD card
o APN and MMS Settings - note down from the path "Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names"
ü Enable USB debugging, "Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging. Make sure that the battery level is at least 40 per cent or the device might turn off during the rooting process.
ü Make sure that the device is not Network Locked. The update may cause bricking on the device is its Network Locked.
This is a custom ROM with 4.1.2 Jellybean Firmware; it only applies to rooted Samsung Galaxy S2 GT I9100. If the device is not rooted yet, here is the procedure:
1. Download Odin (http://cdn.androidadvices.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Odin3-v1.83.exe) and XXLSJ (http://www.gokhanmoral.com/public/files/siyahkernel/v4/Siyah-s2-v4.1.5.tar) to your computer.
2. Extract the firmware package once downloaded.
3. Turn off the Galaxy S2.
4. Proceed to download mode (volume up rocker key + power button at the same time). Retry again if the device proceeds to normal mode.
5. Connect Galaxy S2 to the computer.
6. Open Odin and the ID: COM section will turn yellow indicating that all drivers are installed successfully.
7. Now click the PDA to select the tar file which has been extracted. Start after selection to begin rooting.
8. The phone will reboot after the rooting. The device will not take longer time to reboot.
After the interruption of rooting, proceed with the flashing of 4.1.2 custom ROM Jellybean firmware.
1. Download the Biftor Jellybean ROM Firmware (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2026911) to the computer.
2. Connect the device and copy the downloaded zip file to Galaxy S2.
3. Download the ROM Manager app from the Google Play store and select "Reboot into Recovery mode" option from it. The manual recovery mode is the same with rooting process.
4. In the recovery mode, select "Wipe data/factory reset" & Wipe Cache partition".
5. Select the "install zip from SD card" to choose the zip file. Around 3-5 minutes to complete the update.
6. Once update is finished, go back and "reboot the system now".
7. Check the Settings > About Phone to see the firmware version.
Biftor ROM Main Features
ü 13 toggle status bar
ü Transparent status bar
ü 4-way reboot
ü 4 lock screen icons
ü All rotation
ü Long press "back" key to kill app
ü Navigation bar functional
ü Full camera quality
ü DSP manager and Google music player
ü Touchwiz 5 with all rotations and scrolling wallpaper
ü Pop-up browser functional
ü Multi-window functional + toggle for enable/disable in status bar
ü Smart rotate
ü Smart Stay functional
ü Call recording
ü Unlimited SMS recipient list
ü Lags fixed
ü Faster GPS lock
ü Enabled sensor for GPS locking
ü Google Apps functional
Samsung scheduled the official release of the Jellybean updated in January 2013, although it was originally scheduled mid-November.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More