Connecticut School Shooting: Misidentified, Ryan Lanzas React On Facebook And Twitter
By Maria Vultaggio | December 17, 2012 11:29 AM EST
Ryan Lanza -- the brother of Adam Lanza, who has been called the perpetrator of the mass shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., on Friday -- was misidentified as the shooting suspect in the early hours of the investigation, which led him to react on Facebook.
Gawker posted screenshots of Ryan Lanza’s Facebook page on Friday, when he attempted to convince his so-called friends on the social-media site that it was not him who had killed a then-unknown number of people at the school.
The 24-year-old Ryan Lanza was initially misidentified as the shooting suspect, and pictures of him began to appear on television and go viral online.
Ryan Lanza is alive and well, and he was freaking out because his face had been plastered all over the media, according to Gawker.
Adam Fletcher, who reportedly went to school with Ryan Lanza at Quinnipiac University tweeted the first picture that soon went viral, before anyone knew that Ryan Lanza had been misidentified.
Gawker reported Fletcher posted on Twitter: "Facebook statuses from Ryan Lanza. #Newtown twitter.com/Fletch788/stat…" Then, Gawker said Fletcher tweeted that he'd unfriended Lanza "because I was getting a ton of friend requests."
Matt Bors, a nationally syndicated editorial cartoonist, later took a screenshot of Ryan Lanza’s Facebook page and shared it on social media, via both a blog post and Twitter. Bors tweeted: "I'm FB friends with the profile being sent around. This is a real screen grab. pic.twitter.com/YuEIdkW5."
According to the a screenshot, Ryan Lanza vulgarly told everyone to “shut up” and reminded CNN that it wasn’t him who was responsible for the shooting.
It was later determined that it was Ryan Lanza’s brother, 20-year-old Adam Lanza, who was most likely responsible for the school shooting.
This Ryan Lanza is not the only one who was misidentified as being involved in the Newtown shooting. Another Ryan Lanza (Ryan Lanza @Ryan__Lanza) took to Twitter to remind his followers that he wasn’t responsible for the atrocities, tweeting: "[S]o aperently im getting spammed bc someone with the same name as me killed some ppl... wtf?"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices