Lochte Breaks World Record
By IB Times Staff Reporter | December 15, 2012 8:40 AM EST
American swimming star Ryan Lochte set a world record of one minute and 49.63 seconds to capture the gold medal in the 200-meter individual medley on Friday at the short-course world championships in Istanbul.
Lochte, who had already won the 200-meter freestyle and 4x100-meter freestyle world titles on Wednesday, broke his own record of 1:50.08 which he set in December 2010 in Dubai. The 28-year-old from Rochester, N.Y. won two gold medals in the London Games, as well as two silvers and one bronze.
“Any time you break the world record, it’s amazing,” Lochte said on Friday. “I swam my best time, of course. I wanted to do something that no one else did here. I didn’t know I was going that fast anyway.”
Lochte gave his gold medal to a boy in the crowd.
Japan's Daiya Seto took silver in 1:52.80 on Friday, with Hungary's Laszlo Cseh finishing third with at 1:52.89.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’