Lochte Breaks World Record
By IB Times Staff Reporter | December 15, 2012 8:40 AM EST
American swimming star Ryan Lochte set a world record of one minute and 49.63 seconds to capture the gold medal in the 200-meter individual medley on Friday at the short-course world championships in Istanbul.
Lochte, who had already won the 200-meter freestyle and 4x100-meter freestyle world titles on Wednesday, broke his own record of 1:50.08 which he set in December 2010 in Dubai. The 28-year-old from Rochester, N.Y. won two gold medals in the London Games, as well as two silvers and one bronze.
“Any time you break the world record, it’s amazing,” Lochte said on Friday. “I swam my best time, of course. I wanted to do something that no one else did here. I didn’t know I was going that fast anyway.”
Lochte gave his gold medal to a boy in the crowd.
Japan's Daiya Seto took silver in 1:52.80 on Friday, with Hungary's Laszlo Cseh finishing third with at 1:52.89.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage