Lochte Breaks World Record
By IB Times Staff Reporter | December 15, 2012 8:40 AM EST
American swimming star Ryan Lochte set a world record of one minute and 49.63 seconds to capture the gold medal in the 200-meter individual medley on Friday at the short-course world championships in Istanbul.
Lochte, who had already won the 200-meter freestyle and 4x100-meter freestyle world titles on Wednesday, broke his own record of 1:50.08 which he set in December 2010 in Dubai. The 28-year-old from Rochester, N.Y. won two gold medals in the London Games, as well as two silvers and one bronze.
“Any time you break the world record, it’s amazing,” Lochte said on Friday. “I swam my best time, of course. I wanted to do something that no one else did here. I didn’t know I was going that fast anyway.”
Lochte gave his gold medal to a boy in the crowd.
Japan's Daiya Seto took silver in 1:52.80 on Friday, with Hungary's Laszlo Cseh finishing third with at 1:52.89.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display