Lochte Breaks World Record
By IB Times Staff Reporter | December 15, 2012 8:40 AM EST
American swimming star Ryan Lochte set a world record of one minute and 49.63 seconds to capture the gold medal in the 200-meter individual medley on Friday at the short-course world championships in Istanbul.
Lochte, who had already won the 200-meter freestyle and 4x100-meter freestyle world titles on Wednesday, broke his own record of 1:50.08 which he set in December 2010 in Dubai. The 28-year-old from Rochester, N.Y. won two gold medals in the London Games, as well as two silvers and one bronze.
“Any time you break the world record, it’s amazing,” Lochte said on Friday. “I swam my best time, of course. I wanted to do something that no one else did here. I didn’t know I was going that fast anyway.”
Lochte gave his gold medal to a boy in the crowd.
Japan's Daiya Seto took silver in 1:52.80 on Friday, with Hungary's Laszlo Cseh finishing third with at 1:52.89.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 4: San Francisco Giants 11, Kansas City Royals 4 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles